Question: re Boat Ladders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After a dive today here in Bonaire, several of us were talking and trying to figure out the following:

Why do so many dive boats have ladders made of metal tubes with tubular steps which are difficult to negotiate because of the lack of traction as well as tubular handrails which have no places upon which you can get a secure grip and all of this while wearing heavy equipment on a boat that is rocking with the waves?

I'm "assuming" that there must be a "reason" for this but can't think of any and can't think of why there can't be rubber (or other material) and/ or textured metal (which I see only rarely) to allow a diver a more secure and safer entry from the water?

Would appreciate hearing from others on this.

Sy

Tube material is easy and cheap to work with and common, "rubber and textured materials" peel off or detach under heavy use.

N

The round tubing, or often times pipe, is very strong and is easy to bend without causing kinks in the material (extremely expensive dies need to be used for other materials). The round material gives a place to grip and use extreme pressure without hurting the hands from "sharp" edges. It also helps to minimize injury should a diver fall against it.

This is similar to the building codes for handrail for similar reasons.

Anthing added to the material for texture can trap salt and begin corrosion and can actually peel off at a time when it is really needed.

The use of material for the treads of the ladder that has raised sections that allow for better traction will also cause wear and damage to neoprene boots and wetsuits. Not to mention that it will rip a drysuit.

I have never heard of this in all my years of charters in the dive business,,,i opened my first dive shop in 1970 after retiring from the Navy in the Fla, Keys,,,,

and no one has ever asked me this question,,,usually they would say these are the best ladders they had ever seen,,,and where did we get them,,usually i would say thanks and we made them ourselves since you could not buy ladders and platforms in those days,,and even today many dive shops still make their own ladders,,,

you must have gotten into smaller pipe,,possible 1inch,,,,

later and have a great dive,,,,,,,,

captbill

the wetter the better!:usa:

Ditto Nemrod and Dsix36.

The saltwater and constant sun exposure makes most rubber thing/ traction stuff hard to permanently attach. In my experience, they often don't last much more than a day under normal use. We keep trying.

Corrosion can set in between rubber and stainless steel with a tiny amount of trapped water.

Most boats and their ladders were not designed specifically for scuba...

I installed a aluminum three step T Ladder and can climb out of the water with all my gear on.

Dwayne

The ladder on my whaler has "traction stuff". Here's a picture,
04260015t.jpg

The ladder is collapsed in the picture but you you can see the
black "traction stuff" up close to the transom.

It's been on there for almost 13 years, in salt water 70 days a year,
no corrosion. We do tank our tanks and fins off before getting back
on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom