Question re: Adding extra thermal protection for 7mm wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a warm water diver but would like to practice dive at a local quarry (Dutch Springs in Pa.) and the surface temp. this time of year is about 68 degrees and at 30 ft. it goes lower as you hit a thermocline.

I have a 7mm full wetsuit that was adequate last August when the surface temp was about 72 or so.

I was thinking of adding one of those vests with the hood to give me more thermal protection but was wondering how thick it should be without it impairing my movement given that it will be in addition to the 7mm wetsuit?

Any comments and suggestions will be appeciated.

Thanks,

Sy

I'm a warm water diver but would like to practice dive at a local quarry (Dutch Springs in Pa.) and the surface temp. this time of year is about 68 degrees and at 30 ft. it goes lower as you hit a thermocline.

I have a 7mm full wet suit that was adequate last August when the surface temp was about 72 or so.

I was thinking of adding one of those vests with the hood to give me more thermal protection but was wondering how thick it should be without it impairing my movement given that it will be in addition to the 7mm wet suit?

Any comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

My wife used the 7 mm hooded vest last year at Dutch Springs and needed it to be keep from being too cold (see first link below). She was wearing that over her Bare Velocity 7/6 mm Full wet suit shown in the second link below.

I dove there this weekend and it got as cold as 46 degrees F. A person who I was diving with said his dive computer recorded 40 -41 degrees F at the 2.5 ton truck.

I was wearing a dry suit this past weekend however.

BARE Scuba Diving - USA

BARE Scuba Diving - USA

Another vote for Bare!

I wear a 7mm Bare Arctic year round at Lake Jocassee in the Upstate of South Carolina, and for dives below the thermocline I add a 3mm Bare Arctic hooded vest (7mm hood). The suit and vest mate at the collar with a skin type seal, and provide very limited water transfer.

Water temps below the thermocline are typically in the low to mid 50's, and this suit keeps me warm. I also use the Bare Ice boots, and Henderson 5mm Instadry gloves. I take a Thermos of hot water to fill my suit before the dive when the surface temps are low, and have really enjoyed this combo.

Hope this helps!

Dive Safe.

I have a 7mm full wetsuit that was adequate last August when the surface temp was about 72 or so.

I was thinking of adding one of those vests with the hood to give me more thermal protection but was wondering how thick it should be without it impairing my movement given that it will be in addition to the 7mm wetsuit?

Any comments and suggestions will be appeciated.

Thanks,

Sy

I was just at dutch this past weekend and it was in the low to mid 50s below 30'. I had on a merino 7 mm with a 5 mm merino hood and vest. Was toasty warm for the most part, but did get cold here and there - especially after a few dives. The hood and vest are a very smart move.

I've nice and warm in my 7mm J-Suit below 50 but at 46 degrees that was too cold. Switched to a drysuit (though I thought I could hold out).

Your best bet is to go with a hooded vest made from the "gold core" material. I would suggest a 3mm. vest with a 5mm hood. These must be worn underneath your 7mm suit. The thermal protection is gained when this material comes in contact with your skin. Just about every company sells their version of this material.
Good luck,
Carolyn
Liquid Fit

Ive just got my Bare Arctic 7mm wet suit that come with a one piece body suit as well as and 7mm shorty with a attached hood. Ive been diving roughly 20 times on it and i don't get cold. The temp over her is usually between 45-60. I love it. It works awsome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom