Question on which camera to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks again Dee for your help.

tie,

More than likely I will buy the Canon over the Nikon so it's really a moot point.

However, the reason why I would choose the D-100 over the D70 is I don't care for the plastic body even though the D70 has some improvements over the D-100, but did drop a few features the D-100 has. Roomer has it Nikon will discontinue the D-100 and bring out another higher end replacement for it (the real replacement) at about the same price point ($1500.00). I believe Nikon needed a solid unit priced below $1000.00 because they were loosing to much business to their very fine competition, thus the D-70.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the D-70, it's a great camera for the money.

You hit it right on the head, that's why I'm buying two cameras. Once the DSLR is a little older, and been replaced with a new one, I won't worry so much about a possible flooding. For now I need to learn how to take photos UW and I think the 5050 is perfect for me. Lots of info and support here on the forum for the camera, I hope I can't go wrong.

If you're looking at the Canon 10D you may want to consider the Rebel 300D instead. Plastic body instead of metal; slightly detuned features, but the same CMOS chip; $900 without a lens/$1,000 with a lens. The current 10D may considered to be replaced by a new 8 MgPxcl. model the 1D mk II. Of course it may get cheaper with an end of model phase out.

A preview of the 1D mk. II is available at: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos1dmkii/

I just went through this process purchasing a 1Ds for my office. Wish I could afford that one for personal use.

My U/W rig is a Sony DSC P-10.

You guys are naming some top notch cameras, do you have any suggestions as far as ultra compact models go? I need something that I will happen to have with me in my pocket that rare moment in time when the most unlikely thing happens, and most of the models metioned are just too big for such a thing, also I travel to some sketchy places and I'd like one that conceals well. Right now I have a Pentax Optio S4 but I can't find a UW housing for it. Any suggestions?

gert7to3:
If you're looking at the Canon 10D you may want to consider the Rebel 300D instead. Plastic body instead of metal; slightly detuned features, but the same CMOS chip; $900 without a lens/$1,000 with a lens. The current 10D may considered to be replaced by a new 8 MgPxcl. model the 1D mk II. Of course it may get cheaper with an end of model phase out.

A preview of the 1D mk. II is available at: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos1dmkii/

I just went through this process purchasing a 1Ds for my office. Wish I could afford that one for personal use.

My U/W rig is a Sony DSC P-10.

the thing is the housing is exactly the same price, so you might as well pay the extra $200 and a lens and get the fully functional and metal bodied camera.

funkyspelunker:
You guys are naming some top notch cameras, do you have any suggestions as far as ultra compact models go? I need something that I will happen to have with me in my pocket that rare moment in time when the most unlikely thing happens, and most of the models metioned are just too big for such a thing, also I travel to some sketchy places and I'd like one that conceals well. Right now I have a Pentax Optio S4 but I can't find a UW housing for it. Any suggestions?

If you're hunting for something small enough to keep in your pocket, to whip it out what that awsome whale shark or manta shows up, the Olympus Stylus cameras would suit the purpose. You may not have time to do more than take point and shoot shots but the camera can do more if you need.

funkyspelunker:

i use the Canon SD-100 (but you could get the SD-110).
both use the WD-10 underwater housing. nice little
point and shoot (i'm a newbie) with manual control as
well. I got both the camera and the housing for under $500.00.

For what its worth, I have C5050 with Ikelite housing/strobe and recently bought D70. I definitely plan to use my D70 for underwater use once I get a housing, keep the Oly as a backup especially for when I feel to lazy to drag the D70 along with me. Going dSLR route for underwater is definitely much much more expensive but for extremely wide angle or supermacro, dSLR is a better choice because of the availability for various lenses but it is not as flexible a setup as C5050 once house since you are stuck with the choices of lens you have. As far as C5050 goes, I certainly would recommend looking at Ikelite housing if budget is not a concern. Ikelite now has housing for both 5050 and 5060 that support hardwire TTL connection (instead of using light sensor to slave the strobe off the internal flash) so it should perform much better. I like the Ikelite strobe as well eventhough it is quite a bit bigger and heavier than the Inon strobe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom