Question on the various dive sites.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gunner12

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,
I will be traveling 3-4 week in Indonesia come June/July. I am still debating on where to go, and the route.

Some of the spots I am thinking around Bali are:
Tulamben, Amed, Nusa Penida

Considering:( probably one or two of these places, havent decided yet)
Gili Islands, Komodo, Lembeh, Bunaken

I have read these forums as much as I can but still would like more info.

I have almost 100 dives, and have my rescue.

So my questions are:
1. How would you rank the difficulties of some of the places? I have read Nusa Penida and Komodo have very nasty currents. What about the others? Ideally, the first few dives I would like it to be more relaxed to shake off any rust I may have!!

2. I tend to travel to areas only once, as I have limited time a year, and like to try new places every year. Hence I don't like to repeat places in my summers. So saying that, any "MUST SEES" within those areas? Kinda trying to prioritize!!

3. Is Nusa Lembongen worth seeing for a first timer to Indonesia?

Appreciate your time!

Thanks!

I've recently returned from another trip to Indonesia, where I visited Java, Lombok (including the Gilis) and Labuanbajo / Komodo.

The Gilis are a nice place to chill on a beach, do some relaxing snorkelling, and maybe do a dive course, however for fun diving it's not that great - not much colourful coral (lots of dead coral). On the positive side, quite a lot of turtles.

Komodo is in another league altogether, excellent diving, there can be strong currents, but the dive shops usually manage by diving in the sheltered side of whatever island in the Komodo National Park, depending on which way the currents / tides are running, plus there are more mellow divesites there anyway - just talk to the diveshop. I've not visited Nusa Lembongen, so can't comment.

I'll probibly be putting up a short report and photos and stuff in the next week or so. Have fun whatever you decide!

With 3-4 weeks, you can explore many area in Indonesia.
My recomendations are:
- Spend 1/1.5 weeks in Bali, do a safari, you can visit Manjangan, Secret Bay, Puri Jati, Tulamben, Padang Bai and Nusa Penida.
Give Secret Bay and Puri Jati a miss if you are not into muck diving.
Manjangan and Tulamben are relatively easy diving with nice corals, macro and wreck.
Padang Bai and Nusa Penida are more rough and advance with serious termocline diving bigger fish, shark cave etc.

- Spend 1/1.5 weeks in Bunaken, Lembeh and Poopoh.
Give Lembeh and Poopoh a miss if you are not into muck diving.
Bunaken has beautiful wall and fish soup you can also actually find good macros in shallow water.
Diving relatively easy.

- Spend 1 week in Komodo
Night dives normally done in bay, easy and relaxing.
Day dives are challenging, with ripping various current.
You can see beautiful coral, good macros, fish soup, big stuffs.

To go to Komodo, one of the way is to pass by Bali, so it's practical to combine both if you have long time to spare for only two.

If you are muck diving lover, Lembeh is a must.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom