Question on the new Octo-Z

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DougNR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm relatively sure I wish to purchase the Octo-Z when it becomes available. Assuming it breaths reasonably well, and lives up to usual standards of quality, I think Zeagle got this one right. I really like the idea of separating the unit from the BCD and stowing it with the reg. The attachment to the corrugated hose for rinsing the inside of the bladder with a garden hose is a stroke of genius, but it brings up my question...

I generally let my BCD dry semi-inflated and cycle moist air out several times during the process. I also like to store it with just enough air to keep the interior surfaces apart. Will there be a way to manually inflate the BCD without the octo attached?

Scott?

Thanks for any information you can offer.

I will be test diving the new Octo-Z next weekend in the SpearBoard Open, and I am really excited about it. All indications are that it will be a really nice setup.

We have not yet tackled the issue of manually inflating the BC with the unit removed, but it is on the table for discussion!!

I will let you know as soon as something concrete is available!

Thanks,

Scott

I used the prototype Octo-Z to 160+ ft.

It breathed great.

It would seem that a garden hose threaded cap could be screwed onto the BC to keep enough air inside and keep critters out. :D

Chad

ScottZeagle:
We have not yet tackled the issue of manually inflating the BC with the unit removed, but it is on the table for discussion!!

Thanks,

Scott

Thanks Scott, I'll keep my eyes open for new info you or others may post here on the Octo-Z. Chad's comment was also a pretty good one. I think I've got garden hose threaded caps out in the shed. Controling a small volume of air for storage could be a bit tricky but not big deal.

Even if zeagle doesnt make a fitting to do so, you always could take a 3/4"GHT (garden hose thread) X 1/2" or 1/4" npt and put a small valve on it you you can blow it up, and then close the valve.

DougNR:
I generally let my BCD dry semi-inflated and cycle moist air out several times during the process. I also like to store it with just enough air to keep the interior surfaces apart. Will there be a way to manually inflate the BCD without the octo attached?

Scott?

Thanks for any information you can offer.

I second your question; it's the same thing I want an answer to before purchasing. Along the same line, how does the shoulder dump operate if the Octo is removable? I would assume that the stainless wire inside the corrugated hose must have to be tied off to a pin "inside" the end of the hose, so the wire stays in place with the Octo removed. At that point, it seems one would have to attach the garden hose and then activate the shoulder dump by pulling on the corrugated hose to allow rinse water into the bladder. Am I making sense here??

id like to make a suggestion about this product. hopefully scott will see this.

I love the way you can attach a garden hose and i think that is a great idea, but the problem of not being able to easily fill the bladder with air and seal it off was brought up in previous posts.

instead of having people create their own fittings with valves and all, would it be possible to include a prefabricated plug with a small valve to allow the bladder to be orally inflated and closed to trap the air inside?

obvioulsy i would have to be screwed in after the octo-z and garden hose have already been removed but thats common sense.

also i dont want to be blamed for the release date being set back, so knowing it might take a little bit to design it and find a manufacturer, could you include a coupon for it with the first few batched of the octo-z instead

these are just suggestions and i dont really expect them to be considered, but i think this would make it easyer on everybody who buys an octo-z

now, do i get a free one for my amazing idea?
04.gif

JUST KIDDING
haha

cant wait to get my hands on this thing...

Thanks for all the input!

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom