Question On PADI Divemaster Exams

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your LDS and/or instructor is not, at the minimum reviewing your ability to be prepared to take the exam, I'd suggest you shop elsewhere.

While I believe the old "Death by Lecture" method is overkill for many subjects for almost all students, I do NOT believe that this relieves the instructor of his/her responsibility for preparing you, the DM candidate, for the exams. Anyone can proctor an exam. You should have a mentor, coach, and leader. If you don't - find one.

I've never had a DM candidate that I couldn't get through the exams with enough confidence to do it again later. I believe that this comes under the term "mastery." If your instructor isn't ensuring your being able to ensure that you can "master" the material and still passes you, you're being shorted.

And by the way - my shop called it "dive slave" and thought a requirement was a strong back too.

I don't think the dive shop I'm taking the course through is offering any lectures or presentations. As far as I understand, their position is that by working through the DM Manual and Dive Encyclopedia I should be able to write all 8 exams.
The goal of the course should be learning the material, not merely passing the exams. Admittedly, the two can, and often do, go hand-in-hand. But, I am going to agree with knotical and oly5050user on this one. Part of the real learning comes from discussion around the topics being presented. In our shop, we most often do group DM classes, so having a lecture/presentation coupled with vigorous group discussion is practical, and valuable. But, even when we do a 'private' DM - 1 student - the presentations are part of the course. I wonder if your DS will make the argument that much of the learning comes through doing - the apprenticeship model - and the presentations are unnecessary, since you will have 'valuable real-world leanring experiences in which the application of the theory will provide the learning that no lecture ever can'. If you are comfortable with the approach your DS is taking, fine. I would not be, but that may just be me.

Course Lecture/Academic Presentation?

I don't think the dive shop I'm taking the course through is offering any lectures or presentations. As far as I understand, their position is that by working through the DM Manual and Dive Encyclopedia I should be able to write all 8 exams.

Is this not the case?

I'm currently working on my DM and am just about finished with the exams. I have one to go. When I started, the instructor did make it clear that this was an independent study course and that I was expected to put in the necessary effort on my own to learn the material. However, she also made sure to have classroom time to ensure that I actually did put in the time and learn the material. She also then came up with some additional questions on the material to make sure I learned the material, not just the answers to the questions. There is a difference. She was then also available to touch upon anything I wasn't totally clear on. I don't care how smart you are, if you are only getting your info from a book, you are going to have questions on things and not be totally clear on everything. You need a human being to clear up some things every now and then. This is obviously your decision, but if the shop will not provide any classroom environments whatsoever, I agree with the person who told you to get your money back. How are they going to assess your water skills, have someone video you in a pool and mail it to them?

Hey everybody!

I've just started my PADI Divemaster training, and I've just about finished reading the PADI Divemaster Manual. Of the 8 required DM exams, which of them can I write after completing the DM Manual?

The exams are as follows:

1. Physics
  2. Physiology
  3. Equipment
  4. Decompression Theory and RDP
  5. Dive Skills & Environment
  6. Divemaster Conducted Programs
  7. Supervising Certified Divers
  8. Supervising Students

It seems to me that I will only be able to do Exams #1-4 after completing the PADI Diving Encyclopedia, but it looks like Exams #5-8 might cover the material presented in the PADI Divemaster Manual. Am I correct in this assumption?

Thanks in advance for your help!
You may just want a quick answer, but dont be afraid to ask your instructor these questions. They are in charge of your course. If you have any questions about how YOUR particular DM course is going, you should be communicating with your instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom