Question On PADI Divemaster Exams

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Duddridge

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everybody!

I've just started my PADI Divemaster training, and I've just about finished reading the PADI Divemaster Manual. Of the 8 required DM exams, which of them can I write after completing the DM Manual?

The exams are as follows:

1. Physics
  2. Physiology
  3. Equipment
  4. Decompression Theory and RDP
  5. Dive Skills & Environment
  6. Divemaster Conducted Programs
  7. Supervising Certified Divers
  8. Supervising Students

It seems to me that I will only be able to do Exams #1-4 after completing the PADI Diving Encyclopedia, but it looks like Exams #5-8 might cover the material presented in the PADI Divemaster Manual. Am I correct in this assumption?

Thanks in advance for your help!

It's not quite that simple.

Physics, Physiology, Equipment, and Dive Skills / Environment are not addressed in the DM book. For them you variously need the Encyclopedia, The Diving Knowledge Workbook, the relevant DM academic presentations, and a review of your previous course materials, including Open Water and especially Rescue. Of these four, the first three have academic presentations, but Dive Skills & Environment does not.

Decompression Theory and RDP is a combination of the DM book, the RDP instructions, and of course the lecture.

DM conducted programs requires both the DM book and the Instructor Guides for the relevant programs. btw, this one is partly open book, you can use the Guides.

The last two, on supervising, are the only ones that are “completely” covered in the DM book. Even with those, it’s worth paying attention in the academic presentation.

Course Lecture/Academic Presentation?

I don't think the dive shop I'm taking the course through is offering any lectures or presentations. As far as I understand, their position is that by working through the DM Manual and Dive Encyclopedia I should be able to write all 8 exams.

Is this not the case?

I’ve always provided the academic presentations. Was I required to? The only thing I find in the DM Instructor Guide is the following.

Topic 1
The Role and Characteristics of a PADI Divemaster
This is the first presentation for the PADI Divemaster course and must be conducted before any other course components.

That last sentence is in blue/bold which in PADI Instructor Manual context means it is a requirement.

I found nothing else that requires them to present any topics after this first one. Seems a shame though, since there’s some good material presented.

There are 12 topics. If they don’t want to present them to you, perhaps they’d let you look at Section Three of the Divemaster Instructor Guide. It includes thumbnails of slides and outlines with lecture notes.

Frankly, I'd look a bit askance at that dive shop, wondering where else they might be skirting standards.

Thanks for the info, Knotical.

I just took a look at the sections you refer to in the instruction manual, and I found the information you were talking about. I'll be sure to use those sections in preparing for the exams. Thanks a lot for pointing this out!

Mark

Course Lecture/Academic Presentation?

I don't think the dive shop I'm taking the course through is offering any lectures or presentations. As far as I understand, their position is that by working through the DM Manual and Dive Encyclopedia I should be able to write all 8 exams.

Is this not the case?

Ask for your $ back and tell them why..you paid for a course to be conducted by an current and insured instructor..not to go home and read a book and video only..Alot of the Dm course is there to develop a "role model" for you to follow as you are on a "pro track' from Dm to instructor.I would go as far as requesting an instructor that has experience certifing and teaching a DM course -perhaps a IDCS instructor or better.You would need at a minimum ow text/adv text/rescue text/dm text/encly of diving/wheel and an ERDP.I would also suggest law and the diving professional.There is something like 10 presentations to be done,at anywhere from 1 hr to 2 1/2 hr each.

Ask for your $ back and tell them why..you paid for a course to be conducted by an current and insured instructor..not to go home and read a book and video only..Alot of the Dm course is there to develop a "role model" for you to follow as you are on a "pro track' from Dm to instructor.I would go as far as requesting an instructor that has experience certifing and teaching a DM course -perhaps a IDCS instructor or better.You would need at a minimum ow text/adv text/rescue text/dm text/encly of diving/wheel and an ERDP.I would also suggest law and the diving professional.There is something like 10 presentations to be done,at anywhere from 1 hr to 2 1/2 hr each.

Thanks for your feedback oly5050user.

While I don't think they have any plans to conduct any formal lectures, they have made it clear they see their role as providing instructors to mentor me and serve as role models. So while they won't be directly involved in presenting the exam material, they will be involved in all of the practical aspects of the course (skill assessments, watermanship skills, leading divers/students, conducting classes, planning classes/courses, mapping, emergency plans, etc.). As long as I have all of the information I need to study for the exams, and an instructor is available to answer any questions I have, I don't actually mind studying for the exams on my own. I actually learn a lot better/faster using self-study as opposed to lectures/presentations.

That said, I appreciate you clarifying the responsibilities of the dive shop offering the course. I was extremely unimpressed with the shop I took my Advanced Open Water and Rescue Diver courses with. I was starting to wonder if decent courses/instructors even existed. Luckily, I think I've found a DS that actually takes what they do seriously and is committed to helping me make the most out of the course.

Mark,

While you may be "mentoring" with several instructors, there should be one instructor you are working with and he/she will be the one that will sign your application. I recommend meeting with him/her to get a clear picture of what the expectations are.

There are several pieces of the divemaster course. There is independent study, which includes the divemaster video and book. You will need to complete all 9 sections and KR. You should read and complete the diving knowledge workbook. There is a lot of information regarding physics, Physiology, equipment, dive skills and the enviroment and dive tables/wheel. By studying that material, that will help you pass the dive theory exams.

You will be evaluated on all 20 dive skills and your water stammina skills. You will also have internships you will need to complete. There is a mapping project and an emergency assistance plan. You will be evaluated on your professionalism throughout the course.

In your divemaster packet, there is a skill completion sheet that lists all of the items you will need to do to pass the course. I would recommend that you keep a copy of that sheet. Make sure once you complete each skill that you have him/her sign off for you. This will also help track your progress. The orginial will stay in your student file (which your instructor will keep).

I see this very often and I would caution you against this: Do not become a DM slave to your instructor or LDS!!! YOU are getting an education and the DM course is about YOU, not about your instructor or dive center. I have seen DM candidates and DMs held hostage for months because they must help every weekend (doing crappy work like loading tanks and washing gear) as part of their agreement to become a divemaster. Your time is valuable and as a student, you do not owe your instructor every single weekend for 6 months or a year of helping with classes to get your card, or a discount on instruction/insurance. It sounds like that won't be the case, but I would meet with the instructor anyway and his/her expectations will help guide you through this course. It isn't easy, but it is fun.

Good Luck!

if you feel comfortable with them ,then that is your choice.But if you plan on going on to AI or Instr. and you did not have the presentations done for you in a way that YOU can learn from as to HOW a example presentation is done then they did you a disservice.Even if you believe that you have a firm grasp of the material by studying on your own.
In the dm course they obviously are not there to teach you how to do a presentation(thats AI/IDC job),but ,they should do them as if they were role model examples on how a proper one is done as if they were preparing you to attend an AI program/IDC course.

I completed my DM course last week and had little difficulty studying on my own and passing the eight written exams. My only caution is that you really need to study the RDP/Wheel and know the physics and physiology section of the Encyclopedia. There is quite a bit in those two sections so learn it in chunks.

I took all eight exams in one sitting and only missed a few questions. It really isn't that bad if you are a bit OCD like I am, and really prepare in advance.

I took the DM course solely for personal development. I have no interest in going any further, but felt that it was a great course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom