Question on Florida Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xefe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings All,

I am a fairly new diver with very few dives under my belt. I will be visiting Inverness, Florida in the beginning of june. My wife wishes to visit a beach and do some sunbathing. While she does that I would like to sneak off and catch a few dives.

Where would you folks recommend a new diver to try out ?
any information would be greatly appreciated.

Greetings All,

I am a fairly new diver with very few dives under my belt. I will be visiting Inverness, Florida in the beginning of june. My wife wishes to visit a beach and do some sunbathing. While she does that I would like to sneak off and catch a few dives.

You may want to ask your question in one of the Florida forums on this site.

ScubaBoard - Florida Conch Divers

Greetings All,

The Fort Lauderdale area is perfect for new divers and it has lots of very nice beaches.

You will have to drive a little bit but I guarantee it is worth it. Fantastic shore dive. Under the Blue Heron bridge in West Palm Beach. You can park next to the bridge and there are benches for ease of putting your gear on, there is a fresh water shower for your exit and it is a short walk across the beach to your entry point. You won't believe the life down there. It truly is one of the best shore dives you can do. Just make sure that you coordinate it around high tide and you do need to have a buoy. I think it is only about 30 feet deep. There are two wrecked sailboats under the bridge and tons of life. Star fish, crabs, lobster, sea horses, cudas, and more. There is a dive shop on the south side of Blue Heron rd just before you go over the bridge and they can assist you in tanks and a dive buoy. I think the name of it is Force E, but I'm not sure. There is another shop on the island Pura Vida dive shop.

Btw, great little beach for your wife and really good snorkeling.

Bruce

I am a fairly new diver with very few dives under my belt.

One last thing... you are going to find a buddy to dive with... correct? I'll bet you could get a DM at one of those dive shops I mentioned if not an insta-buddy. One last thing, make sure you have a dive knife as there are people fishing off the bridge, not that it is a big problem but just in case.

Bruce

those places look great, but unfortunately they are too far for this trip. 2 hour drive is really the most we could do. I was really hoping there would be something on the gulf side, something near daytona beach as a last resort.

thoughts ?

There are lots of excellent dives in the area, but you aren't ready for most of them. There is a fun dive for beginners in the Rainbow River just outside Inverness, but no beach.

Inverness is close to good diving.

Rainbow River was mentioned. It is a crystal clear drift dive. You will need a boat to do the North (prettier) end of the river. Put in at KP Hole, the county park with a beach. It is shallow but beatiful. You will get about an hour of BT. Your wife could drift with you on a tube/raft or just snorkel. There are some charters that do this trip if you don't have a boat or you can rent a boat.

Crystal River is also nearby and will probably be you stop for LDS in the area. Plenty of information on the web. Take another course from on of the shops and you can get training and dives. Your wife could either go to a pool or the city beach. She may even enjoy being on the boat with you.

Devils Den and Blue Grott are in Williston. Your wife could swim or layout at Devils Den but there wouldn't be anything for her.

Weeki Watchee is also nearby and a unique dive in the attraction. Information is on the web.

Paradise Spring in Ocala will not offer much for your wife but it is a good dive. Maybe she could run to town and shop while you dive.

Silver River is another good drift dive, but no beach and you need a boat. Plenty to see even for the non-diver from the boat. Rental kayaks are availible just accross the SR40 bridge. Charters are availible you just have to search the web to find them. Captain Peggy Goldberg, Nature, Wildlife, Underwater Photography Tips, photo equipment for sale and Guided EcoTours by Captain Peggy Goldberg or Captain Tom are two that I can think of now.

Tarpon Springs is just south of you. There are dive charters that go out into the Gulf. This is an interesting town and there is a beach so your wife will have plenty to do.

There are many other dive spots in the area that I did not list. LDS and the web should provide plenty of information. Have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom