Question on Fins ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used a variety of all the above. I now have a pair of Avanti Quattro ABS having given in to the sheer expense of them. I had a pair of SCUBAPRO Razors before that (don't buy these, they snapped at the flex point after less than 20 dives). the Avantis are wonderul, they are flexible enough that they flute and power you through the water with little exertion required. i have muscular legs and so I thought that they would be too soft, but I was pleasantly surprised. I don't advocate splits simply because they allow you only one or two fin kick variations and don't allow you the power if needed to tow. if you are into videography or photography, defo give them a miss, they don't offer enough stability. Hope this helps.

Nobby:
I've used a variety of all the above. I now have a pair of Avanti Quattro ABS having given in to the sheer expense of them. I had a pair of SCUBAPRO Razors before that (don't buy these, they snapped at the flex point after less than 20 dives). the Avantis are wonderul, they are flexible enough that they flute and power you through the water with little exertion required. i have muscular legs and so I thought that they would be too soft, but I was pleasantly surprised. I don't advocate splits simply because they allow you only one or two fin kick variations and don't allow you the power if needed to tow. if you are into videography or photography, defo give them a miss, they don't offer enough stability. Hope this helps.

Quattros are excellent fins, but I found them too long & too heavy. Great for guys, though... Pearce swears by his.

SubMariner:
Quattros are excellent fins, but I found them too long & too heavy. Great for guys, though... Pearce swears by his.

Long I'll give you...but heavy? They float!

DrSteve:
Long I'll give you...but heavy? They float!

:lol2: When you're a 5'4" woman, they are HEAVY... trust me.

As for "floating", I can assure you that if Pearce lets his go they WILL sink. :wink:

Pax,

SubMariner:
If you don't mind my asking, how many dives do you have? This is in no way a comment on your level of your experience, but rather a question to see how comfortable you are with your current gear configuration. So please don't get offended. :)

Since I've tried a variety of fins (Mares, USD, and even Atomic splits), I don't feel the Avantis are any longer than "the average" fin. However, some people may find them a little "soft" in that they tend not to offer as much resistance as some other paddle fins.

My current fins are the Mares Volo Powers, which I find give me power AND maneuverability. FYI, I have a bad knee too. :wink:

Bonne chance,

Oh, don't worry about offending me. It takes quite a bit for me to get offended.

I have about 15 dives with my Avantis. I looked at the Volo Powers. Do you know if they are any longer than the Avantis? I definitely do not want anything longer...

Thanks for all the advice,
Mel

scubaMel:
Oh, don't worry about offending me. It takes quite a bit for me to get offended.

I have about 15 dives with my Avantis. I looked at the Volo Powers. Do you know if they are any longer than the Avantis? I definitely do not want anything longer...

Thanks for all the advice,
Mel

Ok... I actually pulled out my old Plana Avantis: they are from 1991. The Volos (which I only bought a few months ago) are less than an inch longer than the Avantis. But, as I said, my Avantis are 14 years old. I don't know how they would be the same, longer, or shorter than current Avantis.

If the length is really a concern between these two fins, then maybe a trip to your LDS is in order to see how they "measure up".

That being said, having used both the Avantis & the Volos, I think the Volos are definitely the superior fin. :thumb: Will your LDS let you "test drive" a pair in their pool?

scubaMel:
I am currently diving in a pair of Mares (Planas, i believe). I do not care for them. Not sure why, just not very comfortable. I've read that a lot of people really like the Jet Fins. Are these typically just for dry suit diving? I don't like the cold, so I am definitely just a wetsuit type of gal. I'm afraid they may be a little too much for my legs. I have strong legs (at least I think so), but I do have bad knees. I have several friends who have the Apollo split fins, they seem a little on the flimsy side to me.
Can you all think of any other styles/brands I should try?

Thanks bunches,
Mel

I have one rebuilt fakeish type knee and recently got a pair of jet fins. I can not think of enough to say on how they have changed my diving experience. I can go longer and farther and faster (though I prefer to just poke along) without even trying. My old pair that I cant see ever see using again are Avanti Quattro's. My knee was always very sore after using them. :)

SubMariner:
:lol2: When you're a 5'4" woman, they are HEAVY... trust me.

As for "floating", I can assure you that if Pearce lets his go they WILL sink. :wink:

Pax,

My Avanti Quattro's float. Another reason I love the jets. They helped my trim as I have very floaty feet. They are also good for snorkling as the fins dont flop around on the surface.

Back
Top Bottom