Question on Fins ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaMel

Registered
Reaction score
I am currently diving in a pair of Mares (Planas, i believe). I do not care for them. Not sure why, just not very comfortable. I've read that a lot of people really like the Jet Fins. Are these typically just for dry suit diving? I don't like the cold, so I am definitely just a wetsuit type of gal. I'm afraid they may be a little too much for my legs. I have strong legs (at least I think so), but I do have bad knees. I have several friends who have the Apollo split fins, they seem a little on the flimsy side to me.
Can you all think of any other styles/brands I should try?

Thanks bunches,
Mel

scubaMel:
I am currently diving in a pair of Mares (Planas, i believe). I do not care for them. Not sure why, just not very comfortable. I've read that a lot of people really like the Jet Fins. Are these typically just for dry suit diving? I don't like the cold, so I am definitely just a wetsuit type of gal. I'm afraid they may be a little too much for my legs. I have strong legs (at least I think so), but I do have bad knees. I have several friends who have the Apollo split fins, they seem a little on the flimsy side to me.

Thanks bunches,
Mel

go get the jetfins! i was so hesitant to get em but after reading all the reviews and comments on this board i decided to get em. the best fins ive ever had. BTW its not only for drysuits, i only use a wetsuit and they are perfect

With bad knees, I would definitely NOT recommend the jets. Lots of people swear by them, but I found them stiff and heavy on my feet, and they worked my knees pretty hard. I dive with Plana Avanti Quattro's, and I love 'em. If you don't like those, I would probably try the split fins. They're going to be way easier on the knees, and lots lighter than the jets.

scubaMel:

Thanks bunches,
Mel

Most makes of split fins allow you to get an all black version which is usually stiffer. If regular splits don't work for you, you might want to check the black version out.

scubaMel:

Thanks bunches,
Mel

Hey, Mel...

If you can be a little more specific about what you don't like about your Mares Planas (Avantis?) maybe we can give you a little more feedback about which fins to choose.

Meanwhile, I second the opinion that Jets would be too stiff & heavy for you.

As for split fins, they seem to be a "love 'em or hate 'em" kind of thing. Personally, I don't like them because they do not allow for the variety of fin kicks that I use. I also find that they seem to promote bad finning form by actually encouraging people to bicycle.

DSDO,

SubMariner:
Hey, Mel...

If you can be a little more specific about what you don't like about your Mares Planas (Avantis?) maybe we can give you a little more feedback about which fins to choose.

Meanwhile, I second the opinion that Jets would be too stiff & heavy for you.

As for split fins, they seem to be a "love 'em or hate 'em" kind of thing. Personally, I don't like them because they do not allow for the variety of fin kicks that I use. I also find that they seem to promote bad finning form by actually encouraging people to bicycle.

DSDO,

Thanks for the responses!!

Yes, I currently have the Mares Plana Avantis. They feel a little long and just don't seem to manuevre very well underwater (if that makes sense)...

Mel

I would say you can fin as hard or as relaxed as you want with jet fins. The good thing about them is unlike my Mares Quattro, the jet fins are good for swimming on the surface face up or down. The Quattro's are just too light for swimming face down and tend to flap out of the water too easily.

scubaMel:
Thanks for the responses!!

Yes, I currently have the Mares Plana Avantis. They feel a little long and just don't seem to manuevre very well underwater (if that makes sense)...

Mel

If you don't mind my asking, how many dives do you have? This is in no way a comment on your level of your experience, but rather a question to see how comfortable you are with your current gear configuration. So please don't get offended. :)

Since I've tried a variety of fins (Mares, USD, and even Atomic splits), I don't feel the Avantis are any longer than "the average" fin. However, some people may find them a little "soft" in that they tend not to offer as much resistance as some other paddle fins.

My current fins are the Mares Volo Powers, which I find give me power AND maneuverability. FYI, I have a bad knee too. :wink:

Bonne chance,

I love the Jets for wet and dry diving. They will be easier on your knees than the Mares fins. I also have a set of Apollo split Fins. They are awesome if you only flutter kick. They will are very knee and leg friendly, but their not too good for other kicks and towing. Hope this helps.

I have to agree that the Volo Powers are a great fin, with the exception of the fact that after about 20 dives I did a giant stride off our boat on the first dive and the hard plastic part at the front of the foot pocket snapped! this means that I was basically diving with one fin for that and the rest of the dives that day. I have heard of this happening to a few other people as well.. According to Mares they did have a bad batch of them that went out and this is not a normal problem.. But because of that issue and the fact that I do allot of boat dives I opted to try out the scubapro twinjets. To be honest I didnt like them at first at all.. But after 3 dives with them I was sold! I have bad knees and I tend to forget to stretch before my dives and with a really stiff fin I tend to cramp much easier. I dont use the Twinjets anymore, I now use the oceanic vortex v12 which is an awesome fin. Hightly manuverable and when you kick it feels like you arent really wearing fins at all, but you fly through the watter!

But like others have said, some folks love a split fin and some dont. I would see if your LDS will rent or let you borrow a couple of different types of fins (give them more than a couple of dives each though) so that you can get an idea of what works for you, because in the end unless you are DIR it really is about what fits and works well for you.

Phil

Back
Top Bottom