question on dive with martin "steel 95's"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am going to cozumel, and considering Dive with Martin (also looking at aldora, and buena ventura). I am looking for fast boats, small boats, good service, and good dive sites...My question - does anyone know how much extra DWM charges for using steel 95's? Has anyone used his "king diver" package? What is the difference, other than steel 95's? I see that it costs 50% more! ($325 vs $250 for 5 days of diving). How much more bottom time do you get with steel 95's versus AL 80's?

Thank alot ahead of time!

Scott

Scott

Be careful here. If you are the only one or if the entire boat is not diving the same tanks or same gas then your bottom times are going be limited by the smallest tank, the biggest hoover or NDL.

At Aldora everyone uses the same steel 120's. Bottom times are limited by NDL and not by gas unless you have a real gas guzzler on the boat but the DM carry a 7' hose for those folks to extend their dives. I have over 40 dives with Aldora and can't ever remember less than an hour dive. Some are 1:25+. Always back at the boat with over 1000psi. Great service and fast boats. They take your gear every day and wash. On the boat the next day and your ready to dive. Very nice not to have to handle your gear while your there. If your Nitrox certified and more of an advanced diver, they now offer Nitrox boats which really rocks. You'll be looking at 1.5 hours minimum on dives and you'll get you use all your gas. Aldora is an outstanding outfit IMO. I won't use anyone else but everyone has an opinion on this.

Liquid Blue Divers also use LP Steel 120's. If you go their web site, to the "about" page, you'll see a comparison chart of 80's and 120's. Yes, you pay more for using 120's but you're getting much more bottom time and, when it comes to diving, "bottom time is the bottom line".

We used Dive With Martin for the first time this past November. Previous trips we used the cattle boats at Dive Paradise, Del Mar and Aqua Safari. Martin's shop was great. There were 3 diver's in our group and most days only had 6 total on the boat. We were able to dive Maracaibo, Devil's Throat (twice), Columbia Deep, Barracuda and San Juan. Everyday they asked us where we wanted to go and they took us there. It was a really nice change from the other shops. Martin dove with us on Baracuda, also. We had thought about upgrading to the King Diver package, but after talking to them when we signed in decided there really was no need since they would take us to the same sites anyway. Martin will also rinse and keep your gear for you at no charge and have it on the boat for you the next day if you like. We had gear storage at our hotel/dock so we took ours with us. We were real happy with them and are going with them again in April. Have fun...........

Do you really need that much air?

I dove with pelagic Ventures/Troy Ruhr and ran the tables to the limit if we wanted to.I was even in deco at one point....on an 80.

Troy will take you where you want based on your experience. Not your typical dive op and I believe mostly word of mouth.

If you want,Troy will provide you with any type of tanks or mix you want for your dive if you let him know.

PM me if you would like to contact him.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom