Question on Cressi Leonardo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RGBM.
Make sure no reverse profile.

I would look at something with different algorithm.

Agree with this.. It is perfect for someone new starting out. I used Leonardo for first 4yrs without problems, it was only after switching to another DC that I realized how restrictive the algo is/was.. hehe done my fair share of +10mins deco obligations using it..

You might also look at the crest cr4 / deep six excursion, much more liberal and generally all round better for same/similar price..

<edit> and as other have said it does have a 3min SS countdown, but in whole minutes

Guys I am not sure if I want to open this conservative can of worms but I think I should.

I have a divecomputer.eu device. As a side note, this computer is not good - don't buy this piece of crap!!! It nevertheless runs Bühlmann ZHL16C which is probably recognized as the "best" algorithm for tec divers. I usually set it to 50/80. I also have a Cressi Newton (which has the same algorithm with Leonardo - Cressi's RGBM) that I use as a backup. (I also used to have a Leonardo at the very beginning).

Locally I usually do 2 dives back to back (surface interval typically 1 to 1 and a half hours) once a week or so, covid permitted of course. Dives typically are shore dives down to ~30 meters (100feet) and back. Generally speaking slow-ish descends / slow ascents.

Well, believe it or not, most of the time under these conditions and especially for the first dive Bühlmann 50/80 runs low on NDL before my Cressi. Quite often around 10 minutes earlier. If not mistaken I think I have seen up to 18 minutes NDL differences!! To be clear that's Bühlmann 50/80 being more conservative than Cressi's "very conservative" RGBM by more than 10 mins (under the conditions I dive).

Compared to 50/80, Cressi's RGBM becomes noticeably conservative/restrictive from the 3rd and even more for the 4th dive per day onwards (eg during dive trips)
which I personally don't consider to be something too bad.

Another difference I find between the two is this: Once you start ascending Bühlmann is more generous and increases available NDL quite fast compared to Cressi's RGBM which seems to be clearing much slower. As an extreme example, if you put Cressi in light (i.e. a couple of minutes) deco, it typically doesn't clear unless you reach the stop depth and stay there for the given time. Bühlmann on the other hand clears light deco quite fast, typically on the way to the first stop depth.

To sum up, Cressi's DC with RGBM (Leonardo, Newton or their newer versions) are good and "cheap" computers that will serve most of the typical diver's needs for years. There is a very sensitive ascent alarm, but I've got used to moving my hand gently enough not to set it. Them being conservative is something relative and to me generally speaking being conservative is not a bad idea. Of course there are "better" dive computers out there for people who have the money or the specific need for the features they offer (eg gradient factors etc for tec dives).

Keep in mind that the best and most important dive computer of them all is the one you have between your ears (see brain). No matter which computer you choose, make sure you know:
- how to use it (RTFM)
- what it tells you and
- what it doesn't tell you
- how to respond
If you don't understand these, no matter how many $$$ you spend, trouble is quite often just around the corner.

Just my 2c as always.
All the best

I was thinking of purchasing one but read that this computer will not do the 3 minute count down for your safety stop. Is this true?

No. What it does is, if you spend enough enough time somewhere above 10 msw, e.g. when following the bottom to the shore, it may count that as one long safety stop and never show you the icon.

Normally the icon shows up somewhere just below 5 msw. Once countdown is triggered, you can go a couple of metres up and down and it will keep counting. Descending below some 7-ish msw will suspend it but not reset the counter, descending to 10 msw or thereabouts will reset the countdown.

Thanks for the feed back.
I have decided to go with a Sherwood Peregrine
You mean shearwater :)
Good decision.

It has no AI, but other then that its a very good rec computer.

You mean shearwater :)
Good decision.

It has no AI, but other then that its a very good rec computer.
Ditto..you won't regret this decision.

I have two Leonardo’s and I think they are a solid choice for most recreational divers. I have noticed that the “stop” sign comes up very fast to signal you are ascending too quickly.. to point 90% of my logged dives show that I got that warning.

As others already said, it does have a counter for safety stop.

I use to just let my console hang free, so I’d get that stop warning every time I lifted the console to read the gauges. Now that I keep my console in the “triangle” (PADI speak) that doesn’t happen.

One thing though, which maybe is a blessing based on other comments here... I never knew the computer had an audible alarm until I read the manual completely. I guess mine must be broken, because I’ve got the stop (fast ascent) warning many times but never heard any sound. I guess before I do any diving where my no-deco minutes says something other than 99, I should get that fixed, just in case I need that deco alarm.

I never knew the computer had an audible alarm until I read the manual completely. I guess mine must be broken, because I’ve got the stop (fast ascent) warning many times but never heard any sound.

It logs momentary ascent warnings all the time, however it only beeps when they become "continuous". As in in: you keep going for X of those "moments". Now that I read your comment, I suspect they tuned that "X" in their program for a console unit and that's too sensitive for a wrist version: the wrist moves around much more.

Another issue i had with the Leonardo was it was difficult to read underwater. The Periguine is like watching an 84 inch Tele

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom