Question for those who use MX-10 lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbundersea

Registered
Reaction score
I'm considering a new idea, and would like to get your feedback on it.

As you know, there are many MX-10 cameras in use. Also, Sea&Sea's DX3000 and new Aquapix digitals (and maybe others?) use MX-10 lenses. Sea&Sea only offers their MX-10 lens caddy to hold whatever lens is not in use. It has several shortcomings: It only holds one lens, it can only mount to the YS-40 strobe and those shaped like it, and it mounts using rubber bands, which can and have failed many times.

If a person has all 3 of the available MX-10 lenses, they have no place to store both of the lenses which aren't on the camera. I have had requests from MX-10 customers for a dual-lens caddy, but have been reluctant to produce this, given the speed with which film cameras are phasing out. However, with the advent of the DX3000 and now the Aquapix, the need for such an item is far greater.

Please share your thoughts on this subject. All input, pro or con, will be most appreciated.

If the demand is there, I will first make sure that it can be built at a good price while meeting our standards for ease of use and dependability. If so, I envision it to be similar in price and function to the Digital Lens Dock, and like the Dock, would incorporate the Save-A-Lens system.

Thank you very much.

I had the same problem when I used an MX-10, it sure would have been nice to have a safe, dependable place to put the lenses. I think I replaced that S&S caddy twice because of broken rubber bands. Luckily the lenses were insured!

I can vouch for the quality and functionality of the DLD. I can't imagine taking extra lenses in the water without a secure place to carry them. I've tried keeping them in pockets but they are either hard to get to or get damaged in the process or both.

Thanks for asking for our input on this. I wish more manufacturers would do the same thing!

Hi Greg,

We are thinking on the same wavelength. I am about ready to switch from my MX10/YS40A to a digital camera. I have and use your save a lens system and I always put the close up lens on the MX 10 and the 20mm is on the lens caddy. The rubber bands did break before and Sea and Sea sent replacements for free. I am considering the new Aquapix because I can still use my MX 10 lenses. I think a lens caddy would be a great accessory so all the lenses can be available on a dive. Since both the Aquapix and DX 3000 have macro lenses built in, a lens holder for the 20mm/close up lenses would be nice.

Regards,

Bob

This sounds like a great idea- I would definetly be interested if they start being made.
-Jacque

Hello Greg, I recently bought a DX-3000G and also would be interested in a lens holder. I think its a great idea.

Back
Top Bottom