Question for the Thinkers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiveturkey:
Can an omnipotent and all powerful being create a rock too heavy for it to lift?

Sounds like a recursive loop without an exit criterion.

Trinigordo:
Important question:

Is there even a god? and if so where is the scientific evidence to prove this?

If science can prove god, then he wouldn't be god...

This discussion is starting to sound like the following quote from Hitchhikers Guide:

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith, I am nothing."

"Aha!" says Man, "The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own argument, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear, I hadn't thought of that," says God, and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

RocketMan:
If science can prove god, then he wouldn't be god...

Need to look into in the new Kansas Science Standards. What an embarrassment.

miked:
For thinkers??.......

The whole question brings back memories of "Philosophy 101".

Word games, IIRC

Mike

No it brings back memories of George Carlin. He asked this question on one of his bits on the Class Clown album. It also contained the seven words you can never say on television. Or this board for that matter.:D

JimLap:
No it brings back memories of George Carlin. He asked this question on one of his bits on the Class Clown album. It also contained the seven words you can never say on television. Or this board for that matter.:D

P.S. He was also not caught up in this politically correct crap, and is still not by the way, he used GOD:D

Arthur C. Clark once stated "The universe is not more incredible than we imagine, it is more incredible than we are capable of imagining."

I always thought this was ironic as this was directly analogous to my personal views on God - a being who is in my mind not limited to the definition provided in the ancient and sacred texts of many cultures that are themselves limited by their cultural relevence, limited imagination of their time and elements of social control that often pervade them. The irony is that Clark's analogy elegantly explained the limitations people have on understanding or fully comprehending God - but Arthur C. Clark is an athiest. (He was also a diver.)

Here's another interesting thought to consider next time anyone of any religion makes extremeist comments, implies God is on their side, or uses their own morals as grounds to judge what is right for all others:

"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion."
Arthur C. Clarke

Having said that, lets tread very softly here. It's ok to talk philosophy, but if we cross the line into religion (the two are often intertwined), and get into the "God exists - no he/she does not", or "your religion sucks and mine does not" debates, this thread will need to be closed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom