Question for the TDI people out there - computer use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I took the course, my Instructor had us use V-Planner to plan the dives.
We cut tables for the dive plan, as well as plans for too long, too deep, and lost gas plans.
The dives were then all done using bottom timers.

There is much more to the training of course, but to answer your question, we used V-Planner and bottom timers.

Enjoy your training!

I can't answer this question, but I'll ask another: but how hard have you tried to get an answer and how long have you waited for an answer? If you have asked more than once and you have waited over a few days it seems kind of odd. This seems like an easy question they should be able to dash off an answer to in a minute or two during a SI. To me this seems like a bit of red flag here if they can't get around to answering simple questions from students (or even prospective students).

It is a bit of an odd situation where my friend is planning the course, but is also extremely busy. So he is communicating with the instructor about dates and logistics but as I said he is too busy to be on top of it properly. To add to things, the instructor is also extremely busy. So I don't want to go "behind his back" and contact the instructor directly so I figured asking on here was the simplest solution.

Thanks for your input everyone, it definitely answered my question.

We cut tables on V-Planner/MultiDeco, ran them as such, but used our computers as well, OC mode, as backup.. We would run whatever was more conservative with the exception of one dive, where we came off the bottom a few minutes early, so we rode the computer. Being a Petrel running the same algorithm with the same conservative setting, it was no issue.

If you're a student in the course, you're not "going behind his back" by asking the instructor questions directly.

If this were posted in the TDI forum, you might get the official agency stance.

For what it's worth, what I teach in diver classes, and when I run instructor workshops, is that everyone follows the same ascent schedule. That schedule might be generated by decompression software or it might be calculated using burned sticks and chicken entrails, but it is sacrosanct. No variations... everyone ascends together. If for some reason a computer get's bent (a function of someone not switching gases), then it get's bent. Everyone ascends together.

In the past few years, fourth generation PDCs have really improved and now do a great job of tracking inert gas loading and off-gassing without padding the hell out of the ascent schedule... however, you don't need a $1000 decompression course to follow blindly a ****ing dive computer. That's not what I get paid for! LOL!

So, final kick at the can goes something like this... ascent schedule written down and discussed, alternatives and contingencies planned for, 4th Gen PDC set to ultra conservative and used as a tool for surface discussions post dive.

When I was a TDi student, we used V-Planner to make primary and contingency plans, and we followed those plans to the surface.

I later did a bunch of dives with my ex-instuructor, and he brought along a computer to use "as backup." When the computer did not match our pre-planned strategy, we went with the computer. So which were we following--the pre-plainned strategy or the computer?

I later did some other dives with people who did the same thing--used a computer for backup, but followed the computer when it did not match the written planned profile. Hmmm.

In my instruction, we do it both ways on different dives so that students can make a good decision about which they prefer when the class is over. We follow a written schedule carefully, and we follow a computer with a written schedule as backup. In all cases we ascend together. If you are using computers, they should be using the same algorithm, and you follow whichever is the more conservative. If you stop at 20 feet, and one person is done with deco earlier than others, that person stays until all members of the team are done. There is no reason you have to get out of the water right away when your deco is done.

I'd add that it might be beneficial to just hang around in the water a few minutes taking your time on the way up after the last stop. Unless conditions dictate otherwise of course. A decompression dive can be a bit of a strain on the body. Allowing a little extra time to recover in water as you are off gassing isn't going to hurt one bit. Delaying that strenuous climb up the ladder or stairs with a hundred or more pounds of gear is easier on me for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom