Question for the masses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So hello to everyone for Oahu. I'm active duty military stationed here in Hawaii. I just used the VA benefits to get all the way to Divemaster. Herein lies my question. Is it a good idea to power through Divemaster and go straight into instructor, or should I wait the year I have left in the military to start going to the instructor classes? I have guaranteed income in my current day job, so I would be able to work for certs as an instructor. I just don't know if it's best to get started right away or wait until I'm out of the military. Thoughts?

Let me answer your question with a question.... Would you be comfortable with an instructor that went 0- hero, no real world experience, instructing you or a loved one? If so, go for it,... if not,... slow down, get some real world experience diving in different environments- currents, dark, murky, cold water, salt water, fresh water,..... anything that can make diving challenging. Acquire some tools for your eventual instructor tool box, so you can give your future students the best education possible. Get with a trusted & good instructor, help them out, let them mentor you on how to handle students & their various issues. An instructor can teach someone to dive. A good instructor can make a diver,... there is a difference.

Chris dont wast your VA on diving. Do something meaning full. You will find that if you are in college you can parobably take classes for next to nothing all the way to dive master. Here it is about 35 a course and the college / state pays for the rest. Check into it at you school.

Regards

STSC SS

If diving is the route you go down then I would always recommend spending some time as a DM before going on to get your instructor ticket.

KWS sounds like he has advice knowing your situation better than me, it may be wise to listen to him. Have you fully researched what the role of the professional scuba instructor looks like? In short, it's fun but the wages suck. So if you are thinking about re-skilling for a new career after the military, my advice is make yourself fully aware of the situation before you sink everything in to it.

If you do want to go down the scuba route then get your DM and work with it in whatever capacity you can.Get to understand the role and what is required within it, become comfortable and proficient in assisting others, guiding and generally getting a handle on how a dive is run and then start thinking about instructor.

I see so many zero to hero ex-military coming out of the instructor mills that drop out of diving within 6 months after they've laid all of the tourists, drank all of the beer, and realize that it takes a lot of cash to really live down here.

Use your new GI bill to get an education. A real education that will support your wife, you, and the kiddies. You might not have a wife and kiddies now, but I reckon you will eventually. If you're still active duty, you're still being taken care of, and I don't mean that in a mean way, but you are guaranteed a paycheck, you have access to housing, you can eat in the chow hall if needed, and all of your salary can be fun money. Once you get out, no one will provide you with these things. I got out 36 years ago, we didn't have a GI bill, but I got my degrees anyway and worked a real job before becoming a dive instructor. I suggest you do the same, and if you still have the burning desire to teach diving, you can do it during the summer semester.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I joined right out of high school and tried tradional college using Tuition Assistance (separate from the GI Bill) and it definitely wasn't for me. Maybe sometime down the road, but not for now. The DM program used 5 out of 36 freebies that the GI bill gives us. Not too big of a dent, but I can see how saving it would be smart. I agree that waiting is definitely the best option. Thank you again for the advice.

---------- Post added September 9th, 2015 at 06:58 AM ----------

Capt. Frank,

That's definitely not what I want to be. We have a terrible reputation for being folks of questionable morals. I'm not wanting to teach diving because of the girls or alcohol in exotic places. It's about seeing someone's face after they come out of the ocean for the 1st time. Can't beat it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom