question for the dive pros

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

penquin

Registered
Reaction score
i have already taken the padi dive course and have passed the written test but i have not yet done my open water dive and it's been over a year, could anyone tell me if i need to take the course again or not

is the usual time limit that I have seen. I am not sure that this is a PADI rule or not. It is best to take it up with your old instructor if they are still around. Over a year though without diving, and I would be inclined to take the class again... even as just a partial refresher.

I agree with NetDoc...did I really say that?!? I think the limit is 6 mo. but even if it isn't you need the refresher on your skills.

I'd take the whole thing over!

SSI standards require the open water be completed within six months of the academics and pool sessions. If more than six months but less than a year has passed, a Scuba Skills Update must be completed to determine if the entire course must be repeated of if the student can proceed with open water. After twelve months the whole course must be repeated.
Rick

PADI now gives you up to one year from the time you last completed a course requirement to begin the next section.

Any longer, and you must start from scratch.

But that is too long, IMHO. A few months is a long break for a student diver, and anything over about 3 months would make me nervous as an instructor.

I agree but...

If I took my written in November 2001, I'd have to take my OW by February 2002, which would mean I would have to be an AOW and Ice certified before I could take my basic OW... :)

(Sorry, just had to be difficult!) 6 months would be much better than a year though, I can agree to that.

The time limit for a referal is one year. I believe if you are finishing with the same instructor/shop there is no time limit. However, remediation may be required, at the discretion of the instructor. The Scuba Review can be used for this.

Originally posted by Murdock325
I agree but...

If I took my written in November 2001, I'd have to take my OW by February 2002, which would mean I would have to be an AOW and Ice certified before I could take my basic OW... :)

(Sorry, just had to be difficult!) 6 months would be much better than a year though, I can agree to that.

Nah! After the classroom material and written exam, we'd do your confined water dives. How about one evey two weeks? That should take us through at least late January. Which puts us to late March.

My nervousness is that, under the current system, you could do the classroom material and then wait nearly a year to do confined water 1, and then get a referral. And then you could wait nearly another year to do confined 2, etc... In theory, it could drag out for years. Not a good thing, IMHO.

Hi welcome to the SCUBA Board from Kingston Ontario Canada. Hope you enjoy the forum.
Barry
Yes have a talk with your instructor..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom