Question for Thai DM's and Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

similandiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Regarding Phuket/Phang Nga region....

We have a local restuarant that has an aquarium with some pretty endagered species in it. The owner (farang) of this restaurant is apparantly purchasing these exotics off less reputable DM's and reselling them for aquariums throughout asia.
Now, of course we've done a fair bit of confrontation and are actively doing a boycott of this restaurant.
BUT - We are ready to break a few kneecaps. Instead I reckon we could try the legal side of things.
We have heard about the "Marine Park Police" that arrested someone recently for having exotics in an aqaurium and selling them. I have been unable to find any information on who exactly we call to take care of this.

Any of the DM/Instrcutors in Thailand have a clue which goverment agency takes care of this?

Please PM with details.

And if this fails, then if anyone wants to come up and join in a "discussion" with this shop owner...

similandiver:
Regarding Phuket/Phang Nga region....

We have a local restuarant that has an aquarium with some pretty endagered species in it. The owner (farang) of this restaurant is apparantly purchasing these exotics off less reputable DM's and reselling them for aquariums throughout asia.
Now, of course we've done a fair bit of confrontation and are actively doing a boycott of this restaurant.
BUT - We are ready to break a few kneecaps. Instead I reckon we could try the legal side of things.
We have heard about the "Marine Park Police" that arrested someone recently for having exotics in an aqaurium and selling them. I have been unable to find any information on who exactly we call to take care of this.

Any of the DM/Instrcutors in Thailand have a clue which goverment agency takes care of this?

Please PM with details.

And if this fails, then if anyone wants to come up and join in a "discussion" with this shop owner...

I don't know, but check out: http://www.talaythai.com. The owner of that page is one of the most recognized scientiest for reef fishes in thailand, sure if you post something in the forum there, someone is able to help.

similandiver:
<Snipped>
We have a local restuarant that has an aquarium with some pretty endagered species in it. I reckon we could try the legal side of things.

You might get an answer and some action by writing to the Phuket Gazette in the section called "Issues and Answers." Here's a link where you can make your enquiry online.

Several years ago a similar query was made to the Phuket Gazette and it elicited this response.

similandiver:

Give me a couple of days. There are people who take this very seriously, and will get the contact details for you as soon as I can.
-j-

similandiver:
Please PM with details.

Sent a few days ago. Not useful?
-j-

Back
Top Bottom