Question for Texas(or other) divers & campers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NadMat

DIMWIT Swamper ;)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Not sure which forum this actually 'should' go in, put it here because most of diving & camping currently done in Texas :D

I have an older coleman popup camper that I am in process of restoring and upgrading.
Some of the upgrades are somewhat dive related, such as the two outside shower points and the hot water heater, pump system and larger water storage to supply them, but are also useful for general camping purposes too.

So the question is, what specific upgrades/abilities would you make sure you had? Especially dive related upgrades.

Another dive inspired upgrade planned is an outside locking hatch allowing access to under seat storage on right side of camper with camper closed. Perfect amount of room to stow dive gear, but impossible to access without raising roof.

And being Texas, a 15,000 BTU A/C is planned to allow a comfortable nights sleep after an August day of diving/biking/fishing/hiking/climbing/camping :)

We have a clothing rack (a discard from a local store) that we are planning to rig so that it can be attached to the bumper of our rv. It breaks down and is quickly assembled, and we love it for hanging our gear, wetsuits, etc. to dry. No one really admires our rv, but they sure do covet the rack! A relative is going to weld the base to our bumper soon. Just an idea.

Thanks Foo,

yeah, I have been trying to figure out a better drying system than current clothsline over top of camper to tow vehicle or nearby tree or post. And something to hold the weight of wetsuits, towels, BC's, not just a bikini or swimsuit.

Sounds like you have a bigger rv than mine, and are able to secure the rack against back of RV. I would have to figure out a rack that collapses like my PUP to do same. But a good thought, guess I'll have to do a little doodling in cad and see what I can come up with. If you have any pics you can post that would be great.

NadMat:
So the question is, what specific upgrades/abilities would you make sure you had? Especially dive related upgrades.

A compressor.

Cave Diver:
A compressor.
:D :D :D

I am actually designing the size of the front extension platform to hold a max air 55(?) and a 3500 w generator and planning around that kind of variable tongue loading. Converting an old school pup to more of a toy hauler pup.

Considered just buying something close to what I want, but would hate to scrap this one, and when running numbers on what I wanted, I came out min of $2-3 k less doing it myself rather than shopping used toyhauler pup. And no one is building 'exactly' what I want anyway, so would be doing some customization anyway.

Am lucky to have a buddy who did trailer design for local trailer manufacturer of utility, horse, cargo, and other custom trailers, who still has software and some facilities access for some of major framework required.

Back
Top Bottom