Question for Sea & Sea Users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One word of advice, if you do go with the DX8000, one critical accessory is to invest in the rechargeable battery packs for that camera. I am not talking about NiMH AA batteries. These batteries give you a substantially longer run time, as well as an increase in the camera's internal flash recycle time. If you need further information on that, I have an email of a test done by our Sea & Sea rep.

I have had 2 different answers on the RAW capabilities. Does it take RAW photos?

I had good luck with my DX-3100 in the Turks also. I just read a story on the Orinsky, that would be great to see the photos. I'd be interested in seeing what the results are with the strobe set-up. Do you use one or two strobes?

jimdiverman:
I use the DX-8000. I recently spent 7 days aboard the Sailing Vessel Juliet in the Turks and shot over 500 pics and over an hour of u/w video. I am using the Sea & Sea housing and arm with the YS-110 strobe and fish eye lens. (Note the fisheye lens says DX-5000, but its the same housing.) I am also using the SanDisk 2Gb Extreme 3 memory card. It has a 20Mb/sec read/write capability.

There are a few things you need to know about this setup.

I am using rechargeable AA batteries to power the camera. There is a lithium option, but the AA batteries, using flash on every picture, are good for over 100 shots. Get the highest Ah batteries you can find. I am using Duracell 2650mAh. I have seen 3000mAh advertised on the Internet. That is insane, 3 Amps! The strobe uses 4 AA batteries. When I was on the Juliet, I had my cabion setup with my laptop, external 120Gb hard disk, and external SD card reader. I transferred the photos after every dive. I never had a single problem with the housing or the firing of the strobe.

If you are going to use RAW format, be prepared for long wait times underwater. I am using Fine for the most part. I found that at the highest resolution, it writes a huge file (13Mb).

I took all my pictures to Walgreens when I got home from my Turks trip, and all the pictures came out great. You can crop them, and they still come out great.

Overall, I am very pleased with the camera. Tomorrow I am leaving for Pensacola, and I am diving on the Oriskany on Sunday. I plan on taking the Sea & Sea down on both dives. If you are interested, I can post some pics from this camera from the Turks and from my dives this weekend.

Hope this helps.

tomboytoo:
I have had 2 different answers on the RAW capabilities. Does it take RAW photos?

It does not.

Once again, apologies for my misleading (incorrect) initial comment on this.

jimdiverman:
I took all my pictures to Walgreens when I got home from my Turks trip, and all the pictures came out great. You can crop them, and they still come out great.

Overall, I am very pleased with the camera. Tomorrow I am leaving for Pensacola, and I am diving on the Oriskany on Sunday. I plan on taking the Sea & Sea down on both dives. If you are interested, I can post some pics from this camera from the Turks and from my dives this weekend.
Jim, I'd very much like to see your pics from the Oriskany.

I use the 8000 as well, and while I'm basically pleased with its size, speed, etc. However, I've found it to be a bit grainy on enlarged pics, even on the fine setting. (I'm no pro, so if there are any tips out there, I'm eager to learn).

Bad news! No Oriskany trip. Mother nature is kicking up her heels. I drove all the way to Pensacola and spent the night in a hotel... sheesh !

We'll try again in a few weeks.... after Jazz Fest.

BTW, the DX-8000 DOES shoot RAW... if that was a question, and I have one YS-110 strobe now, but I am seriously considering getting another one. There is still another slot for it in the Pelican 1500 case that I bought with the camera and accessories. Anyone have any suggestions on whether I should get the same strobe or a slave?

Regarding NiMh batteries...

I spent 7 days on a lliveaboard dive boat, and used about 12 NiMh batteries at 2650 mAh (I took 30 along just in case). The strobe uses 4 batteries and the camera uses 2. Just to be safe, I changed the strobe batteries every other dive, and the camera batteries every dive. Since there is no lithium option for the strobe (meaning I need to have a good supply of NiMh batteries anyway, I standardized with the one AA 2650mAh NiMh battery. I never had a power problem. On land, I have gotten over 200 pictures from a single charge.

The secret to using NiMh batteries is that you need to INITIALLY charge and discharge them several times before they are at full capacity. I have a charger that charges and discharges, and also some rapid chargers. I know about the lithium battery. It is rated at 1800 mAh. I know the Internet now has NiMh batteries in the 3000 mAh range. For me, since I had the strobe and the camera using the same batteries, I only had to charge the one battery type, and I had no problems doing it that way.

And ... If I buy another strobe, then that is 4 more NiMh batteries that I will need every other dive.

Hope this helps...

Thanks, it was very helpful.

I am sorry about your trip. It sucks when you make the drive only to have to turn around. I'd like to see your photos of the Turks. I have a few posted from Grand Turk.

Tessa

jimdiverman:
BTW, the DX-8000 DOES shoot RAW...

Hi Jim

With regard to this - how do I set my 8000 to shoot RAW? I have never been able to find this setting and everything I've read (including the S&S website) says that the 8000's recording format is JPEG.

Not trying to be smart a#@ , I am genuinely interested in this as my only disappointment with this camera has been the RAW image issue.

Much appreciated.

lancetre:
Hi Jim

With regard to this - how do I set my 8000 to shoot RAW? I have never been able to find this setting and everything I've read (including the S&S website) says that the 8000's recording format is JPEG.

Not trying to be smart a#@ , I am genuinely interested in this as my only disappointment with this camera has been the RAW image issue.

Much appreciated.

The highest setting is uncompressed (NC3264). It stores the file as a TIFF, not a JPEG. I guess it isn't technically RAW, but it stores a 15Mb .TIF file. It takes a long time to reset in this mode (15 - 20 sec). That is as raw as this camera gets. I usually shoot in Fine (F3264).

I would be interested to know if anyone shoots in the NC mode underwater, and if so, what SD card they are using. I am using the SanDisk Extreme III, and if I could find a faster SD card, I may use the NC mode more.

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom