Question for Packhorse or anyone else

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got a reply from UK:

Thank you for contacting Underwater Kinetics
The 18650 found on the internet will work fine. Make sure that it includes the safety circuit.
However, it will not be covered under warranty since the battery is not supplied by us.

Its interesting that they say using 2 CR123 cells will give less output. I would have thought the output may have been the same or greater as the voltage would be higher ( Run time would have been shorter due to less MAH capacity).

Li Ion cells are usually labeled after their diamentions. EG 18650 is 18mm wide 65mm long and ) refers to cylindrical.
CR123's are alo known as 16340 or 16mm wide 34 mm long.

Anyway I recommend protected cells too. Unless you want to use it as a backup light. In which case non protected cells. They should give you a longer run time (@ diminished output). Just throw them away if you ever run them flat.

Its interesting that they say using 2 CR123 cells will give less output. I would have thought the output may have been the same or greater as the voltage would be higher ( Run time would have been shorter due to less MAH capacity).

My guess is that they have done this to increase the runtime.

Li Ion cells are usually labeled after their diamentions. EG 18650 is 18mm wide 65mm long and ) refers to cylindrical.
CR123's are alo known as 16340 or 16mm wide 34 mm long.

Anyway I recommend protected cells too. Unless you want to use it as a backup light. In which case non protected cells. They should give you a longer run time (@ diminished output). Just throw them away if you ever run them flat.

Thanks for info on labeling of the cells.

I wonder if the explanation of the lower power of the light from the CR123 has to do with internal resistance? Perhaps the two CR123 cells in series have a higher internal impedance resulting in less power?

Adam

Back
Top Bottom