Question for DIY Canister Light Makers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Entacmaea

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all, I'm about half-way in on a DIY canister light build, and finishing up the canister, which I made with PVC pipe and coupler fittings glued together (so its walls are about twice as thick as standard SCH 40 white PVC). I didn't want to deal with the latches, and tapping them, and wanted a more streamlined package. so I made a threaded end cap which seals over an o-ring. Just wondering if pressure at depth on the o-ring will compress it to any degree and break the seal? I'm compressing a 3/16" o-ring quite a bit when I screw in the lid, but just wondering people's opinion. The springed latches people use normally on DIY canisters supply continuous pressure, (I think?) so potentially compensate for pressure effects on the exposed o-ring? This will be for recreational diving only, probably never below 125 feet.

Thanks, Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom