Question for Austin divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a few dives in LBJ. I wouldn't do it for fun. It is very murky. I've been visiting the lake regularly since I was born in 1970 and lived on the lake for several years and the best visibility I've ever seen is about 3' vertical vis. Even if the water were clear, there wouldn't be anything to see throughout most of the lake. Soft, flat bottom. It's an awesome lake, just not for diving.

However, Lake Travis has some good diving.

M G:
I have a few dives in LBJ. I wouldn't do it for fun. It is very murky. I've been visiting the lake regularly since I was born in 1970 and lived on the lake for several years and the best visibility I've ever seen is about 3' vertical vis. Even if the water were clear, there wouldn't be anything to see throughout most of the lake. Soft, flat bottom. It's an awesome lake, just not for diving.

Our company is having a retreat on the lake. I've been before. Your right it is an awesome lake. Just thought I'd ask about diving since I'm going up anyway. Might try to drive down to Travis.

In that case I recommend Arkansas Bend in Lago Vista. It's about the best/closest place on Travis from LBJ.

outlawaggie:
Our company is having a retreat on the lake. I've been before. Your right it is an awesome lake. Just thought I'd ask about diving since I'm going up anyway. Might try to drive down to Travis.

Where is it? Do you have a phone or website? Can I get fills?

M G:
In that case I recommend Arkansas Bend in Lago Vista. It's about the best/closest place on Travis from LBJ.

It's a Travis County park. You can probably find a map to it's location by doing an internet search for the county's parks web page. From Marble Falls you would take Hwy 1431 towards Austin. Lago Vista is about 30 miles from Marble Falls. At the traffic light in Lago (Lohman Ford Road) you would take a right. Here's the part where I can't provide specific directions because I don't know the street name, but you take Lohman Ford for a couple/few miles and hang a left to get to the park. Perhaps there are now signs indicating where you turn, I don't know because it has been a few years since I dove there. The part I dive is in the cove that is on the left hand side of the park as you are driving in. The cove on the opposite side of the park from the boat ramp. There aren't any fill stations in the area. Although the thought of setting one up in Lago Vista has crossed my mind...some day maybe.

outlawaggie:
Where is it? Do you have a phone or website? Can I get fills?

Back
Top Bottom