Question for a Doctor regarding Ears, post ENT visit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crowell

Reaction score
First off, I'd like to reference this thread in the basic forum:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t74301-ear-equalization-issue.html

========================
And as a quick summary -
========================

I used to dive in the late 90s for Sikorsky aircraft as part of their crash/recovery team. No issues. When I left Sikorsky, I didn't dive for 5 years, and recently re-started this year.

I visited a new ENT yesterday (my prior ENT retired in 2002), and he picked up very quickly that I'd had a UPPP (uvulopalatopharyngoplasty) done (circa 2001 for UPPP). After some poking around, he determined that I have some residual scar-tissue from the UPPP that's obstructing one of my eustacian tubes, and that post-UPPP even the musculature and structure of the muscles around the eustacian tubes functions differently.

I haven't had any problems equalizing at the surface, and always pre-equalize before I go in, and equalize a lot on the way down via modified val-salva (sp?), and when asked about that, the ENT told me that even if I'm not seeing any problem on top, as I go down - I can still have a lot of problems from the scar-tissue with some squeeze as I go deeper, or with even extremely minor amounts of blockage that I may not even notice.

He told me to take 4 of 5 squirts of Affrin about 20 minutes prior to getting in the water "until I can taste it in my mouth", and see if that helps me. He also said if it doesn't, then there's basically nothing that can be done and I'm - in his own words - S.O.L.

And that's not exactly what I was hoping to hear... any further comments, discussion, or recommendations from you guys?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom