Question concerning Mares Warranty? Please Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lakotah

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Can somebody please explain to me in Laymans terms the Mares warranty?

I purchased two sets of regs ( Mares She Dives Proton Metal for the wife, and Proton Ice for me)

Less than a year later I take them in for service where I purchased them to make sure I didnt miss the yearly inspection/service and I get hit with almost a $400 bill in parts?

I was shocked. Im in the Houston, TX area. Any ideas?

Also, the regs only had about 20 dives a piece.

Last edited:
From the Mares website:
Only defects or damages resulting from a failure in material or workmanship are covered by the MARES Warranty program. Other defects or damages, in particular those listed below, are not covered by our warranty:
•Defects or damage caused by normal use and wear•Defects or damage caused by heavy, unusual, or incorrect use, or use under abnormal conditions (blows, jerks, falls, bumps, etc.)•Defects or damages caused by lack of or incorrect maintenance or through negligence•Defects or damages known or evident at the time of purchase of the Product•Clear defects or damage, tacitly accepted, that did not interfere with the product's operation•Scratches or damage to the plastic surfaces, glass, and all other external areas due to normal use of the product•Defects or damages caused by cleaning materials or other substances containing aggressive chemicals (solvents, surfactants, aggressive cleansers, etc.)•Defects or damages resulting from alterations and changes made to the Products without authorization•Defects or damages caused by improper assembly of the components•Defects or damages caused by failure to follow Product instructions in the User’s Manual•Defects or damages caused by prolonged use of the Product in chlorinated or polluted water•Defects or damages caused by exposing the Product to excessive temperatures, fire, or prolonged exposure to sunlight.All components subject to normal wear and tear (O-Rings, filters, diaphragms, light bulbs, batteries, rubber parts, silicone parts, latex, neoprene, zippers, etc.) are not covered by the warranty unless it can be shown that the problem is a manufacturing defect.
This warranty does not cover equipment used for rental, military or commercial purposes.

It sounds like you just had a routine (albeit expensive) annual servicing. OUCH

What shop did you take them to? I am also in Houston, and would like to avoid that shop at all costs.

Can somebody please explain to me in Laymans terms the Mares warranty?

I purchased two sets of regs ( Mares She Dives Proton Metal for the wife, and Proton Ice for me)

Less than a year later I take them in for service where I purchased them to make sure I didnt miss the yearly inspection/service and I get hit with almost a $400 bill in parts?

I was shocked. Im in the Houston, TX area. Any ideas?

Also, the regs only had about 20 dives a piece.

That's pretty shocking! I'll be sure to ask for a firm service price for my new MR42T I just bought when I take it in next year.

Do you have an itemized list of the parts and their costs, and why they were replaced?

here is my question did you buy the regs new? i am assuming yes. that said mares regs purchased from a auth. dealer in the us or canada come with lifetime service parts. the reg should have come with a book for the north american parts for life policy. i have 4 sets of mares regs that are serviced under this policy and never had this issue. even the new old stock v32 proton ice extreme i purchased last year and just had serviced a month ago
was covered. sounds like this dealer isnt looking out for you. i not sure what you can do at this point but that surely isnt right. i have mine serviced yearly and runs me about $80 for labor and thats it. i had my last set serviced at $200 but that was adding a dry CWD kit to the reg. but a basic annual should run about 70-85 and the service kits should be free.

---------- Post Merged at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:06 AM ----------

thats not that good i got the mares proton ice extreme v32 for $289 in 4/2011 new and added a new carbon octo for $260 that i had re tuned to be the primary. so 549 for the set. after first service i swapped out the oil filled for dry cwd for 120 and it is basicly a mr22t with dry cwd with the carbon primary and proton ice extreme octo and im at $669 not a bad deal and its a great diving set

but scubatoys has an abyss 42 for 369 thats a good deal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom