Question about weight..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poseidon

Reaction score
I just got a used drysuit. It looks like 7 mil, shell style. My question is how much weight will it take to get me down?? When skin diving I wear 4 lb if that helps any, and with a 5 mil, it takes 14 lb.

When I wear my 7mm wetsuit I've got around 26lbs in weight. When I wore a 7mm drysuit it took 43lbs, it really sucked having to wear all that weight.

when I had a neoprene drysuit I needed 20 lbs, a tremendous amount of weight in my opinion.

One thing is unclear in your original post. You say "7mm shell style". General drysuits are spoken of as either shell or neprene. A 7mm shell suit seems unlikely :)

Tom

Oh, well the suit is pretty thick, I was guessing 7 mil, although it's definitely shell.

So I'm guessing that my 26 # is going to be a gamble huh??

Poseidon once bubbled...
Oh, well the suit is pretty thick, I was guessing 7 mil, although it's definitely shell.

7mm is THICK. Shell suits are not thick. I think we're crossing our signals on this one.

You're absolutely right... a friend just cleared me up on my confusion. Sorry about that!:confused:

Poseidon once bubbled...

Sounds like you have a neoprene drysuit. Shell suits are typically not neoprene. The neoprene suits usually take more weight to get you down than shell suits. You may need more than 26# if it's neoprene.

I use a 5-6 kg of weight when I dive with a 3mm shorty. But when I wear a shell dry suit I used 30lbs. When I jumped into a pool for my drysuit class I sank like an anchor. What really sucked was going through recovering the lost weight belt excercise with all that weight.

I'm going to do my drysuit checkdive tomorrow and will probably go to the LDS in monterey to pickup some weights for my integrated weight system on my BDC. I hate wearing that much weight on a weight belt. It tends to shift when I dive and throw my trim off balance. The weight belt I used was a 30lb seasoft type and whenever I dive It feels like it's going to fall off my waist.

I'm really looking forward to this weekend. I have a lot of new xmas toys to try out.

-Bare Nextgen with zip hood and trek boots.
-Mares M1 computer.
-Mares Avanti Quatrro fins.
-Oceanic Shadow Mask.
-Oceanic Pressure / Depth Gauge (because I was bored on a rainy day and tried to pop off my old depth guage with a screwdriver and broke it) .
:bonk:
- Iklite PCa and wrist compass...

lowtempo once bubbled...

I'm really looking forward to this weekend. I have a lot of new xmas toys to try out.

-Bare Nextgen with zip hood and trek boots.
-Mares M1 computer.
-Mares Avanti Quatrro fins.
-Oceanic Shadow Mask.
-Oceanic Pressure / Depth Gauge (because I was bored on rainy day and tried to pop off my old depth guage with a screwdriver and broke it) .
:bonk:
- Iklite PCa and wrist compass...

Looks like Santa was good to someone! :D

Back
Top Bottom