Question about tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just came across an old tank. It looks to be a steel 72 but it is covered in some type of rubber coating. Was this something that they use to do and if I get the tank, should I remove it?

Many cylinders came coated. If the coating is not cracked the cylinder is probably fine. However, cracks will harbor salt water which leads to rust under the coating which you can not see.

If the price is right I would take the cylinder, if not skip it.

Going price for a steel 72 is $50-$100 depending on hydro status.

cool-thanks. It was $30 but I need to get a hydro.

Some were vinyl coated over hot dip galvanize some were over bare steel. I would be suspicious of one vinyl coated over bare steel and personally wouldn't buy one

Some of the old 72s have interior and/or exterior coatings. It looked good on paper, but in actual practice, they hide problems. I wouldn't fill one regardless of what inspections/testings it had been through. If you can't get the coating off, don't have it filled.

Thanks Walter-so I should remove the coating. Got it

These 72s can be the real "finds" - if you are lucky, you peel off the vinyl, and find a virgin layer of hot dip, that looks like it only left the factory last week.

You can usually tell if a tank is galvanized or not by looking carefully at the neck and where ever else the outer coating has been breached. If there's any loose edges and no one is looking, peel back a little bit of the coating off and see what's underneath. If it is just rusty, the tank probably isn't hot dipped. If you can see some dull zinc gray, then it probably is.
For some reason the black-coated ones are the ones most often galvanized underneath, and the yellow ones the least.

Some were vinyl coated over hot dip galvanize

ZERO RUST!!! Calvanized! About 75% done removing the coating...man, that is work but a good deal for $30

:)

Back
Top Bottom