Question about tank specs... specifically steel 72's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My understanding is there are several designs of steel 72's (as opposed to a much narrower field of, say HP100's) - so here's my thing.

I dive the E8-130 waterheater. Got myself dialed in weighting and positioning, etc. for that cylinder. I dive 8 pounds, with a DS and my Steel BP and little can light.

But I've been out of the water for a bit, and lost weight. So yesterday I get in with a steel 72 - and 10 pounds of weight. I was arrestingly under-weighted. I grabbed a couple of rocks, and finished the dive - but I was very uncomfortable.

Next dive I bumped up to 16 pounds, and I was about spot on. Much better. Did the 500 PSI / 10' test - no worries.

I guess I'm fishing here, and now that I've got it nailed its a waste of bandwidth, but I mean WOW. I had no idea I'd need so much more weight for such a smaller tank...especially because the waterheater is like 10+ neg.

Could it be gas trapping in my suit, now that its way big on me? I purged as best I could, and I usually just add a couple of puffs, anyway. Could that be why I needed to essentially double my weight and add another full 8 pounds? Or are 72's just that much lighter? The tank monkey at the park said "neg 4" for the 72... anyway. I was shocked I needed to get to 16 to get comfy.

Any thoughts on this? Is it a combo of my weight loss, air trapping and the 72 bring that light? Am I mental? Always a possibility.

I feel good that I got the 72 dialed in. Schlepping the waterheater to the island for day trips was getting old. If I can rent on-site, cool. I only get about 30 - 40 minutes out of it, but I've dove the park a zillion times. So I'm pretty excited about losing the tank-lug. Just wondering about adding so much weight.

I'm not too familiar with body dynamics and how weight loss (for me, like 15 - 18# or so) impacts scuba weighting. Do you need more weight, less weight...? Just curious what caused this - the tank, the bod, or both.

Thanks

K

Wassap Ken,
I have a SS backplate, 20 lbs lead, 7mm suit. I dive AL 80's and Steel 72's without changing the weight.
When I go to an HP100, I can loose 10 lbs of metal.

Glad your back in the water. So all I need to do to loose some gut is gimp my self eh?

Kyle

whalerkyle:
Glad your back in the water. So all I need to do to loose some gut is gimp my self eh?

Kyle

Not worth it. Trust me.

:wink:

K

Mo2vation:
My understanding is there are several designs of steel 72's (as opposed to a much narrower field of, say HP100's) - so here's my thing.

I dive the E8-130 waterheater. Got myself dialed in weighting and positioning, etc. for that cylinder. I dive 8 pounds, with a DS and my Steel BP and little can light.

But I've been out of the water for a bit, and lost weight. So yesterday I get in with a steel 72 - and 10 pounds of weight. I was arrestingly under-weighted. I grabbed a couple of rocks, and finished the dive - but I was very uncomfortable.

Next dive I bumped up to 16 pounds, and I was about spot on. Much better. Did the 500 PSI / 10' test - no worries.

I guess I'm fishing here, and now that I've got it nailed its a waste of bandwidth, but I mean WOW. I had no idea I'd need so much more weight for such a smaller tank...especially because the waterheater is like 10+ neg.

Could it be gas trapping in my suit, now that its way big on me? I purged as best I could, and I usually just add a couple of puffs, anyway. Could that be why I needed to essentially double my weight and add another full 8 pounds? Or are 72's just that much lighter? The tank monkey at the park said "neg 4" for the 72... anyway. I was shocked I needed to get to 16 to get comfy.

Any thoughts on this? Is it a combo of my weight loss, air trapping and the 72 bring that light? Am I mental? Always a possibility.

Thanks

K
Could it be that being out of the water is part of the problem? Dont panic just yet. I took two months + off this last winter and needed more weight than expected also upon my return.Of course the tank was obviously the biggest factor.Are you using a weighted STA? Might be a good idea with smaller tanks. Hold off on ordering the pizza as I would think your weight loss would mean you need less weight not more.Fat floats.

Mo2vation:

I feel good that I got the 72 dialed in. Schlepping the waterheater to the island for day trips was getting old. If I can rent on-site, cool. I only get about 30 - 40 minutes out of it, but I've dove the park a zillion times. So I'm pretty excited about losing the tank-lug. Just wondering about adding so much weight.

I'm not too familiar with body dynamics and how weight loss (for me, like 15 - 18# or so) impacts scuba weighting. Do you need more weight, less weight...? Just curious what caused this - the tank, the bod, or both.

Thanks

K

....OOps

It's probably more the time off than anything else. I was out of diving for many years and just got back into it in 2002. Did a few more dives in '03 and even more in '04. With the exact same set-up all season(72 steel incidentally), I have been able to drop 7 or 8 lbs off my belt since May. I'm 6' 205 lbs use a 7mm 2 peice, BCD, a steel 72 w/ 6 lbs in the BCD pockets and 16 on the belt. It seems, the more I dive, the more comfortable I get and the more weight I'm able to drop. Good luck diving.

LobstaMan

Back
Top Bottom