Question About Tank Rental

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Huh? Where did you get that idea?

Dive plan (in my book) not only includes things that you need when all goes well but also things you might need if something goes wrong. So my dive plan includes a pony bottle (that will not be used to extend dive time but just to assure I have air in case of a failure of my back gas delivery system) as I can not depend on unknown buddy at unknown location.

Yes I will be diving to the guides plan but that does not include surfacing prematurely unless there is a true emergency (or other requirements to abort the plan). Sorry but vacationing diver with poor gas management blowing through single tank in 5 minutes does not constitute an emergency. Or in other words, someone's poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my end. If dive guide's plan consists of 40 minute dive followed by whatever surface interval then I plan to dive that 40 minutes unless there is a true emergency (on whichever part) but as I said, poor gas management is not true emergency. If I know I go through my air twice as fast as my buddy I will either talk to buddy ahead of time and make sure it is ok, or I will get bigger tank to match my dive time to theirs. But as far as my buddy's plan is concerned, they have the same choice. They can either trust me (unknown as I will be matched with someone on the boat) or make their own contingency dive plan that increases their chances if I am incapable of assisting them in case of an emergency.

So I don't get what the problem is? Unless we have a misunderstanding what a comprehensive dive plan includes. (In my book includes emergency planning and I don't see a problem with planning as if buddy is not available when I need the most.)

So bottom line is:

1. It is my intention to plan the dive to match what guide's plan is (however I will run my own numbers ahead to make sure it is safe for me).

2. I will reduce my risk with having a pony bottle with me (19cf/3l) in case of a failure and in case my insta-buddy is not close enough.

So having said that I either rent or bring my own but backup is part of my dive plan regardless of what operator's plan is. (Again, I am not planning on using the pony to extend my bottom time just in case of an emergency such as problem with back-gas tank or regulator.)

Sounds to me like maybe you know what you are doing already. I would bring your own kit if I were you, because many dive centres in Thailand do not carry such equipment.
If you dont want to transport your kit, simply mail the live aboard operator and ask them what type of dives you can expect to be doing on the trip, and if they carry the type of kit you want?

3L or 19cu ft tanks are not readily available in Thailand for rental. They are however used by CCR divers and this may be the key to you being able to rent one. There are two CCR capable facilities that I know in Phuket. You would be best to email them and ask about rental.

Aside from that your other choices are:

1) Take one with you in your luggage. Its not so bad I have taken two on many trips.
2) Learn to properly and safely sling a 80cuft tank at your side before going.

Here are the two CCR capable shops.

Technical Diving Phuket Thailand - Tech Diver Training at Pro-Tech Dive College
Technical Diving Phuket Tech Scuba Training Education Thailand

John

Both shops will not rent out to divers.

As mentioned, the best option would be to ask the booking office to take care of this, they should be able to provide something.

Back
Top Bottom