question about slinging a stage bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup, the swing is normal. Luckily my AL40 fits in the perfect spot for me to use my arms to snug it up, reducing the swing considerably so I mitigate it by diving the same way I do with the stage as I do without.

Peace,
Greg

I don't really notice the swing on a 40 much, but an 80 . . . I'm with you, I feel as though I'm losing half the energy of my kick as the bottle swings back and forth. But that's part of why David Rhea warned us so earnestly that taking a stage into a cave is not as big an advantage as you might think. Yes, you have extra gas, but you use it faster, because you're less efficient.

Depends on how you 'sling' it...

Sling it standard, and it still can swing... and its a little messy below you. Sling that sucker ontop your primary tanks, and it doesn't really swing, nor is it in the way.

You will feel the bottle swing with the frog kick if you don't maintain forward momentum.

Many divers perform the frog kick like a car in city driving. Start ... Stop ... Start ... Stop. Each time you start accelerating again objects tend to lurch. That's when the coffee tends to overflow in the holder. While driving on the highway, you can change speeds with less noticeable shift and coffee tends to spill only if we hit a bump, pot hole, or hit the brakes.

If you are maintaining momentum, then you may be lacking fluidity. Your swimming style may generate power and speed and you may catch the stroke before any real deceleration of your glide, but if your body doesn't "flow," your frog kick will create a rocking swimming style.

Sometimes, a diver will have the correct mechanics, but the stroke amplitude is too wide. Try changing your amplitude. Fin using modified flutter and modified frog. You really shouldn't feel the bottle sway when employing those kicks. Next, change your modified frog amplitude wider and wider. You'll find a sweet spot where the modified frog kick and the frog kick become gray areas of definition. You should feel the power and glide of the frog kick while feeling more fluid. Chances are this will be your optimal frog kick amplitude.

Thanks Trace that makes a good bit of sense. I think right now im doing a hard kick and glide instead of a constant motion of smaller kicking motions.

I just watched this video with Jill Heinerth about slinging bailouts, why is this not more universally accepted while backmounting singles or doubles. Keep in mind I am using my bottle as more of a bailout than a stage. Also can you do the side mount system with a backplate. Right now im using these
1720-2107_th.jpg
at the bottom of my backplate to attach reels and lift bag. What my thinking is maybe i can use this ring in place of a butt plate.??

Thanks Trace that makes a good bit of sense. I think right now im doing a hard kick and glide instead of a constant motion of smaller kicking motions.

I just watched this video with Jill Heinerth about slinging bailouts, why is this not more universally accepted while backmounting singles or doubles. Keep in mind I am using my bottle as more of a bailout than a stage. Also can you do the side mount system with a backplate. Right now im using these
1720-2107_th.jpg
at the bottom of my backplate to attach reels and lift bag. What my thinking is maybe i can use this ring in place of a butt plate.??

You don't necessarily have to do more kicks. Simply find the spot where you do the same number of kicks to achieve the same distance, but where you will have more finesse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom