Question about panic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Walter, I think he is probably correct in his prognosis.

someone needs to go down and flush out that diving bell, not that you should ever breath from it, but it will help with other unsuspecting divers, maybe a sign stating that breathing the air in here can kill you.

jdb once bubbled...
So is it your concensus Walter and Uncle Pug that this was a case of Narcosis and had nothing to do with co2.
I am of the opinion that what you experienced was largely a CO2 hit from the box exacerbated by the effects of narcosis. This got the ball rolling... in the wrong direction.

How to avoid in the future? Well first off... no more breathing from underwater boxes. :D

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Well first off... no more breathing from underwater boxes. :D

What is an undewater "talk box" and where would you find one? This is the first time I have ever heard of this.

bwerb once bubbled...

What is an underwater "talk box" and where would you find one? This is the first time I have ever heard of this.

This happens often in wrecks. The "used" air released by divers gets trapped and create a "talk box" where you can go and... talk. Not breathe.

This was also asked of me in a PM. My reply:

At some quarries, springs, etc. a container is rigged and filled with air. This container is actually a diving bell. It can be any size or shape and may be placed at any depth. It is usually large enough for 2 or more divers to put their heads and talk. A similar situation often is found inside wrecks. The problem with breathing from these air pockets is most of the air that goes into them is exhaled air. Exhaled air contains 16% O2 instead of 21% and approximately 5% CO2 instead of .033%. The partial pressure of CO2 is increased at depth incresing the negative effects.

Back
Top Bottom