Question About "Mixing and Matching" Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking at buying a new 1st stage and 2nd. The question I have is:

Can I buy a "Scubapro" 1st and 2nd and hookup a "Mares" Octo with an "Aeris" console? Or does each manufacturer design the 1st stage to only accept their equipment.

Thanks

i am no expert , but as long as the threads are the same thay can be used however you would like. I use Scubapro 1st 2nd sherwood octo and cressi SPG.

It's all compatible. You can even get adapters if the threads are different. However, some 1st and 2nd stages are designed to work more optimally with each other. This doesn't mean they won't work well without each other, though.

UB - I would do some research before mixing various second stages, most likely, you could mix without issues. The SPG should be fine as long as the threads match. Some second stages want 125 lbs, most want 140-150. I would check the primary second stage, if it is not balanced, I would use an unbalanced octo. The bigger issue is if you have an overbalanced first stage, the oct must be overbalanced as well or run the risk of free flows. Basically, you need to research what you have and how you intend to use it. There are some SB threads discussing deep dives, where the octo does not perform as good as the primary and would not deliver enough air for a out of air diver. Not a major concern for me but it is food for thought.

As long as you leave Poseidon out of the mix... virtually anything can hook up to anything else. Small chance you might have to tweak the octo in or out to get it how you want it... but even the chance of that is slim. I've mixed and matched for 20+ years and never once had a problem.

Many times when we're selling someone a package, they want to do some nice reg, and wonder if they can put on someone else's cheaper octo. Not a problem, and when it comes down to it.... when someone is out of air... they are normally not that picky on what the reg brand is.

I know some people will jump up and down saying you can't mix... never mix an aeris with a Sherwood! or an oceanic with a genesis! Guess what... most all those are made in the same factory anyway.... they really are the same with just different names on the faceplate.

So mix away!

Thanks for the help! :D

scubatoys:
Guess what... most all those are made in the same factory anyway.... they really are the same with just different names on the faceplate.

That quote left me wondering....where are the factories located? In the US or ?

Are all the manufacturers using off-shore plants, with low labor costs, to maintain their profit margins?

Thanks.

scubatoys:
As long as you leave Poseidon out of the mix... virtually anything can hook up to anything else. Small chance you might have to tweak the octo in or out to get it how you want it... but even the chance of that is slim. I've mixed and matched for 20+ years and never once had a problem.

Many times when we're selling someone a package, they want to do some nice reg, and wonder if they can put on someone else's cheaper octo. Not a problem, and when it comes down to it.... when someone is out of air... they are normally not that picky on what the reg brand is.

I know some people will jump up and down saying you can't mix... never mix an aeris with a Sherwood! or an oceanic with a genesis! Guess what... most all those are made in the same factory anyway.... they really are the same with just different names on the faceplate.

So mix away!

Some Sherwood regulators (Or at least one Sherwood) uses a Poseidon Second stage. Poseidon is working at a higher interim pressure. (Most regs have 10.5 bar on the LP port - Poseidon is a bit higher) - Which means that if you put on a Mares second stage (For example) on a Poseidon (or Sherwood ?! Not sure if the Sherwood first stage is tuned up to the higher interrim pressure or if the Poseidon second stage is tuned down) then the reg is likely to freeflow. (However, you can easily tune most second stages to a higher interrim pressure anyway.. Just not recommended, that's all)

rgerman95:
That quote left me wondering....where are the factories located? In the US or ?

Are all the manufacturers using off-shore plants, with low labor costs, to maintain their profit margins?

Thanks.

Pelagic - the manufacturer of Oceanic, Aeris, and a bunch for Sherwood, Genesis and others, has production facilities in Oakland California, and some off shore. Some components are made overseas, but they own the factories over there - they are not subbed out as a lot of other companies do. That is how they maintain quality control. Then most everything goes through final assembly and QC in the Oakland facility before it is packed and shipped.

I've toured their facilities, and they are a top notch outfit in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom