question about locktite and o-ring on DIN/Yoke conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never is just a bit of an overstatement. Scubapro uses red loctite to secure the two threaded metal parts of their composite piston. While not meant to be serviced, it would be a shame to have to pay $50 for a new piston when the problem is the internal oring.

First off, find a shop that knows what they are doing....locktite should never be used on a reg, esp red. Red is a semi-permanent adhesive and is intended to be removed using heat. It is certainly not intended for connections that are routinely taken apart.

Agree ... I do not use locktite on anything unless I want it permanent.

I see no reason not to reinstall the yoke fitting if you have it, it's an easy enough job to do yourself and a lot better option than the adapter. As for the oring, it is almost certainly a 85 or 90 durometer since it's across a high pressure interface.

Agree, again. While I use the adaptors they can loosen and cause confusion with the deck dorks. But then again I have multiple regs so I just take the travel yoke reg and leave the DIN regs at home.

One word of caution about the yoke nut. More than one diver a has pooched the yoke nut by using an adjustable wrench on it. The nut is made of brass and will mar very easily if the wrench slips. Most shops use a thin walled yoke nut socket. So while it is easy enough to swap just be careful with the yoke nut.

First off, find a shop that knows what they are doing....locktite should never be used on a reg, esp red. Red is a semi-permanent adhesive and is intended to be removed using heat. It is certainly not intended for connections that are routinely taken apart.

I see no reason not to reinstall the yoke fitting if you have it, it's an easy enough job to do yourself and a lot better option than the adapter. As for the oring, it is almost certainly a 85 or 90 durometer since it's across a high pressure interface.

The red thread compound the shop used was not locktite brand...it was not the same strength as red locktite...I think it was equivalent to blue locktite. I had to clamp my allen key in my bench vise and turn the 1st stage to get the DIN part to break free. There was also some kind of white crust in the threads of the yoke that made me think that it had a thread compound on it when it was factory installed.

-Zef

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom