Question about Light Monkey sealed canister

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
Is it user openable? Has anyone opened one? There must be a way.
Thanks

Yes, it's openable - it's pretty straightforward, I watched as a friend did it...didn't have the guts to do it myself.

Take out the center plug and it provides the purchase needed to pull the bulkhead. Although the plug and bulkhead are well-sealed with o-rings, the banana plug sockets are poorly sealed and look like they'd leak if anything more than a spoonful of water got in there.

The battery pack looks like it came right out of the catalog from batteryspace.com, especially the battery Power Control Board. And if you're the electrically squeamish, don't open the remote ballast lid! The parts inside look like they were modified with a hacksaw and stuffed inside.

My takeaway was that the drylid design looks nice, but will probably flood in any significant exposure to water.

All the best, James

Awesome James. You da man.

Last edited:
I was referring to the inside dry lid - the one that is supposed to keep the battery cells safe if something floods the battery canister.

Like a crimped main seal o-ring. Or a cut cord, or a torn switch boot.

Maybe yours if different, but the little flat rubber washer under the edge of the banana plug socket doesn't look adequate to keep rain out, let alone any water with a bit of pressure behind it.

I'm not knocking the light, I love mine and recommended it to other people! Just that the drylid design isn't as effective as advertised.

All the best, James

I was referring to the inside dry lid - the one that is supposed to keep the battery cells safe if something floods the battery canister.

Like a crimped main seal o-ring. Or a cut cord, or a torn switch boot.

Maybe yours if different, but the little flat rubber washer under the edge of the banana plug socket doesn't look adequate to keep rain out, let alone any water with a bit of pressure behind it.

I'm not knocking the light, I love mine and recommended it to other people! Just that the drylid design isn't as effective as advertised.

All the best, James

Thanks again James. My main concern was having the ability to access the "innards" (sp?) if I either needed to, or, just wanted to. So, I'm going ahead with the Light Monkey order based on your, concise (and then some), response. You answered the questions I hadn't even articulated in my post, ie, you nailed it. Nice one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom