Question about Indonesian phinisi boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm, which boat was that? Lol

I wear a tank, my roomie was wearing fleece. I guess it should have been the other way around. She was scarier than I am, so she was in control of the temp for the most part. Shudder, what a horrid roomie assignment that was. But she didn't snore, so that was nice

I'd hazard a bet that on any given trip the aircon in cabin temp argument pops it's head up on more than a few boats - lmao It wasn't you - at least you wore a tank...buddies who sleep in the nude are ... a delight to behold...when you first open your eyes. I'm always bewildered as to why people rarely open portholes - fresh air isn't toxic. Not recommended whilst steaming along due to spray and the chance of a flying fish ending up on your bunk (its happened lol)

:rofl3:

The boats are businesses that have the amenities they feel they need to attract the customers they are going for, or to differentiate themselves. Their right. Your right to decide which boat you want to travel on, or none. Many or maybe most people not from warm climates will consider lack of AC a deal breaker, and people that are used to the heat (and maybe even more the humidity) sometimes just don’t get it. Hot tubs, maybe you don’t care but some people like them. And even if you don’t agree with hot tubbing and diving they’re nice for non divers or during breaks from diving. (Amenities that are good for non-divers may encourage bookings from "mixed" couples.) I agree posters on a bed on a boat don’t serve much purpose - I might use to hang a clothes line :wink: - but so what. The important part of that is a large bed without a bunk over it which is certainly desirable to many.

Some boats, though probably few of those in RA, have hot tubs because of non-divers and charters for surfing or snorkeling or other activities not centric.

Kireina Phinis is a JOKE!!!
crappy boat (leaking everywhere, small engine with super slow speed), bad service, unprofessional management and unqualified cruise director, false advertisement, rude behaviour (ask guests to pay tips as soon as they arrive onboard, and tips has to be more than $150 per person), overly contral cost, only basic food provided, but even egg was not prepared enough for the whole trip, finished on 2 days before trip end, not to mention other stuff! Owner seems not care about business and guests at all, only care about money! Nobody should ever book this boat, it is a shame on Indonesia liveaboard community!!
1f92c.png

Have never even heard of that boat before
Where does she sail from?

How did you find yourself on that boat in the first place?

I absolutely love the Mermaid setup and I expect I will feel the same about the Blue Manta as well. I love three steps from the dive deck down to where you board the tender, and that lower deck is wide and long with showers. A few steps from the dive deck into your cabin.

It's beyond me why anyone would choose a wooden boat, but to each her own.

- Bill

If when booking a boat I was concerned only with hardware, I'd agree with you completely. While Pinisis are picturesque, a well laid out metal boat with a rear dive deck is definitely preferable. But I'm never looking at hardware only. My most important concerns are itinerary and knowledge/experience of the crew (including in this the captain, divemasters, and cruise director). I don't want to be on a boat that's unsafe or unpleasant, bu these other considerations have far more weight than the boat's layout.

Air Con has been a long discussed topic. Personally, I prefer temp of 26*-27*C is best for my ears for long trips.

With the profusion of new LoBs, it seems that the experience of the staff and guides are variable. On-off trips and reviews are not always informative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom