Question about getting a new mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcf57

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have been just renting equipment when diving (domestic or international). However, the mask I get from dive shops don’t fit great when I wind up going deeper (30+ ft). They slowly leak and I have to clear them. I have adjusted the straps, but still the same results.

Therefore, I want to at least buy my own mask. Probably from a local dive shop. What is the best way to ensure I am getting a good fit for when I go deeper. Shallow depths seem fine so even testing in my local pool is not gonna be accurate.

Is it really just trial and error? Or could there be another method for getting a good fit at deeper depths?

Due to more pressure deeper the mask should seal more than shallower

Loosen your mask strap

Hopefully the dive shop can help, but generally: look up, place the mask on your face without using the strap (balance it there), and inhale through your nose. It should immediately suck against your face.

Since a regulator changes your facial structure, it's best to do this with a reg, snorkel, or even just a mouthpiece in your mouth.

The strap should be not too tight, not too loose, and oriented above the ears but not too high or too low.

If it doesn't leak when shallow, it shouldn't leak when deep, all else being equal. You may be doing something different when deep (like smiling when you see something neat or tilting your head further than normal to look under a ledge). You may also be exhaling through your nose (more than necessary to equalize the pressure).

Please take a look at our MAKO Minimus Mask. It fits just about everyone and is great for scuba and freediving.. No risk, give it a try! We have 4 colors now, including PINK!

Perfect fit Guarantee:​

Hey Dive Buddies,
I’m so confident in how well these awesome freedive masks fit, I want to prove it to you.
In the very remote chance my MAKO Minimus Freedive Mask does not fit, you can send it back within 90 days of the purchase date for a full refund. We will even cover the shipping cost back to us!

The local shops around ATL all have a dozen or so options each. However the Divers Supply store in Macon has probably 3x that. It's the biggest selection I've seen here in Georgia, though it's 2.5 hours south of you.

Masks are one of the most personal pieces of gear. If you find one that fits and you like it, get 2. I would reomend you go into your local dive shop and try on a few masks to gauge your fit. The best way to determine fit is to put the mask on with the strap "barely tight." Basically, it should be resting on your face more than strapped to your face if that makes sense. Then, take a big breath in through your nose. You shouldn't be able to. Then do a big exhale through your nose, the mask should have no problem letting the air out and should create a good seal once you stop exhaling.

If you have any facial hair, that's also another seal breaker. It doesn't take much of a single hair strain to cause a leak. As mentioned, the deeper you go, the greater the pressure and with the increased pressure, leaks could potentially become a heavier leake.

I love the Tusa Paragon masks. They are a little pricier but have great comfort, seal and view. Beuchat makes great masks if you've got a tinier face. Apeks makes a great mask as well (they just came out with a v2 but haven't tried it yet)

I use the new Fourth Element Seeker mask right now. It's definitely one of the best masks i've dove so far.

No, as the pressure increases and with not too much depth the water pressure outside will push the mask
mask more firmly against your face until it feels as though your eyeballs are about to be popped right out

Hopefully only until you equalise the internal pressure by exhaling through your nose

No matter the depth your mask will equalize to where pressure inside = pressure outside.

The strap should be not too tight, not too loose, and oriented above the ears but not too high or too low.
I totally agree with everything you wrote, but I'mma put an asterisk next to this line. The "not too high or too low" can vary to a large degree.

For example, I find that because of my schnoz, I need to put the strap a bit lower than most folks do. If I don't, the nose pocket will press on my septum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom