Question about Dry Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StSomewhere:
I've said it before, but DIR would get a lot less resistance if more people took the time to explain the evolution of the rule, and fewer people just recited the rule verbatim as if it should be obvious and needed no further explanation.

What is not to get?

1) Don't dive with s*****s.
2) See Rule No. 1.

If you ask an intelligent question, it really will get explained. It does tend to break down on the fine details either because people don't understand the really small nits or, as is the case with this thread, there are a few options and everyone has their own agenda/ opinion.

For instance, I have stated the DUI suits are better. Now, there are way too many objective and subjective reasons for that opinion to list them. One of the factors in me coming to this conclusing is AG, one of DC's biggest proponents, had a deal to sell the DC suits for less money and at the time he did not have a DUI dealership. When several of the explorers in Florida and Mexico, who dive daily or at least weekly, tried these suits they were not nearly as happy with them. They did not last as long and were not quite as comfortable.

Getting into this level of discussion/ argument on a board is simply too time consuming and would bore 99% of the readers. So, if you are truly interested, take GUE classes, learn the basics and either hope you find some mentors in your area to steer you in the right direction on the fine points or really do your homework in order to figure out who to listen to about those points. Most of the answers you get from experienced DIR people won't be wrong. But, the answers you get from some may be minutely more beneficial to you. However, the odds of any one persons diving ever reaching a level where these tiny differences would ever matter are very low. And, if your diving does advance to such a point, having to buy a new drysuit will be a pittance compared to your other sunk costs in the hobby.

This has nothing to do with any agenda. It has to do with specifics of the suit, and Mer has done a good job in spelling it out. And that's the way it's taught in DIR classes. So, unless JJ want's to change his method of instruction, the DUI is NOT the only suit option, whether you like the DC or not.

And leave the s****e BS out of this. It's obnoxious and turns people off right from the start. In additon, diving a DC doesn't make one a s****e, unless you're George Irvine, and he doesn't like anything that AG does anyway.

And yes, I've taken the classes and drank the kool-aid.

Soggy:
You might want to talk to AG, Mike Kane, Tom Rutledge, Dan Mackay and a number of other GUE instructors who might disagree with you.
I had a TLS350 that leaked all the time. Mike Kane told me I should have bought a proper suit to begin with. I eventually bought a Diving Concepts crushed neoprene suit from AndrewG. Many of my dives involve climbing goat trails to get to the water, so a rugged suit is better for me. I do miss the fast drying of the DUI suit though, and the cuff dump on the DC suit sucks big time! It doesn't dump fast enough, so I find myself doing contortions underwater when I'm ascending.

Soggy:
You might want to talk to AG, Mike Kane, Tom Rutledge, Dan Mackay and a number of other GUE instructors who might disagree with you.

Just to make the water clear here, I am not an instructor, hell I dont even play one on the radio picture box.

The choice of suit is quite simple, A proper fitting suit will be the right suit.

And the best suit is one that I stock and sell :D

Tom R:
And the best suit is one that I stock and sell :D
Sigh, damn Canadians stealing our capitalism. :wink:

RTodd, I did ask for an explanation, you resorted to "Rule #1". If you stop to think about it, for someone like me who is in the process of buying a drysuit more explanation and less attitude would be helpful. The other thing you didn't bother to address is the "which DIR?" question, which seems like a valid question to me. I'm already sick and tired of losing my shirt buying the wrong equipment, hence the question.

RTodd:
Getting into this level of discussion/ argument on a board is simply too time consuming and would bore 99% of the readers.
Uh, you realize this *is* the DIR forum? This is *exactly* where this should be discussed.

StSomewhere:
RTodd, I did ask for an explanation, you resorted to "Rule #1". If you stop to think about it, for someone like me who is in the process of buying a drysuit more explanation and less attitude would be helpful. The other thing you didn't bother to address is the "which DIR?" question, which seems like a valid question to me. I'm already sick and tired of losing my shirt buying the wrong equipment, hence the question.

Uh, you realize this *is* the DIR forum? This is *exactly* where this should be discussed.
You are absolutely right on both counts. Despite RTodd's belief that discussion and argument are too time consuming, the reality is that it may be too time consuming for him and not the rest of us. While RTodd may already know everything and wish to simply dish out "the answers," that's fortunately not the intent of this forum and there are others here willing to take the time to discuss and explain things.

In my fundies class, it was stressed that what mattered was proper fit and range of motion. It's also nice if it doesn't rip when you look at it the wrong way. The two suits *I* see most as DIR are the TLS and the Diving Concepts Ultraflex Pro. My instructor recommended the Diving Concepts suit specifically.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom