Question about dive computer sample rate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many computers allow you to set the sample rate at 30 seconds or longer - I can't imagine the depth displayed during your dive to be that delayed

And it was adjustable to be as long as 30seonds which is nuts.
Don't know about the older suunto ones, but the computers I know the adjustable sample rates are only for logging. Not for actual calculations or display on-screen.

I usually read instantaneous values for the depth - I wear a Perdix, a Suunto HelO2 and sometimes a D6i also and their readings change simultaneously.
I never changed the default sample rate that is what recorded in the log. I can also say that, the max depth, even if recorded in the summary, sometimes it is not reported in the log because did not occurred during a sample period, but just for very limited time.
For what concerns the temperature reading, I never put much focus on its speed, but, because it always took some times to adjust when entering into the water, I ascribe it to inertia due to the mass surrounding the temperature sensor. So it will always be delayed regardless the measuring rate.
Anyway, I don't think it's so important to know the exact time when the temperature reached that value, isn't it ?

Don't know about the older suunto ones, but the computers I know the adjustable sample rates are only for logging. Not for actual calculations or display on-screen.
The suunto vyper could (can? not sure about current models) be set as long as 30 seconds.

Would you assume that the displayed depth & max depth is being updated at least every second on the actual display during your dive, if not faster?

As far as the computer itself is concerned, it only needs to sample at its deco recalculation rate or logging rate, whichever's faster. I'd expect the display updated at a second or faster resolution -- but wouldn't be shocked if an older device did it slower. There's probably nothing to be gained by recomputing deco more often than every 30 seconds so if an old computer also updates its display that infrequently: it's a bit ridiculous but not entirely unreasonable.

The suunto vyper could (can? not sure about current models) be set as long as 30 seconds.
Yeah, that is only for the dive log. Not he actual display or calculation while diving

Back
Top Bottom