Question about cross certifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tenguzero

New
Reaction score
I keep meaning to stop by my LDS to ask my instructor this (wasn't able to find what I was looking for through a search of the boards, although I have to assume it's been asked before):

I'm currently OW certified through SSI, and I'll probably end up continuing on through the AOW classes here. My wife and I fancy the prospect of maybe trying to move down to the USVI in a couple years to see if we can find some adventure. It seems like a majority of the dive shops there are PADI though. Provided I'm AOW certified through SSI at that point, is it possible I could continue my instruction through one of those PADI shops (with the goal of seeking employment, for instance) and just start out at the next stage? Or would I likely have to go back through the whole PADI curriculum, pay for the classes, log all the dives, etc...

Dumb question? lol

Most agencies accept equivalents.

I agree with Pir8, unless you just want to cross over, there's really no reason. As was mentioned, most agencies accept other agencies' certification. There may be a difference or 2 here & there, but most of it is the same. It's usually no big deal until you go into the professional ranks (DM or Instructor).

I keep meaning to stop by my LDS to ask my instructor this (wasn't able to find what I was looking for through a search of the boards, although I have to assume it's been asked before):

I'm currently OW certified through SSI, and I'll probably end up continuing on through the AOW classes here. My wife and I fancy the prospect of maybe trying to move down to the USVI in a couple years to see if we can find some adventure. It seems like a majority of the dive shops there are PADI though. Provided I'm AOW certified through SSI at that point, is it possible I could continue my instruction through one of those PADI shops (with the goal of seeking employment, for instance) and just start out at the next stage? Or would I likely have to go back through the whole PADI curriculum, pay for the classes, log all the dives, etc...

Dumb question? lol

No, you won't have to go back through OW & AOW if you want to get additional training through a PADI shop. The next step up the PADI ladder would be Rescue Diver, which it looks like you already have the requisite training experience to enter. (There are also o/w dives, theory, and CPR/1st aid requirements to be met to gain qualification.)

However, if you just want to get Specialties like U/W Photography, Search & Recover, etc., then you can just go for it.

Between SSI and PADI, the courses are recognised by both agencies and you can go between agencies (until you get into the professional levels as someone already mentioned). You continue from whichever point you've been certified at and you do not have to go back to scratch. The courses are similar and meet the same level of required standards.

I often come across prospective students who'd been told by some aggressive salespeople in dive outfits that in certain parts of the world, only one agencies is recognised. This is NOT true. It's a sneaky sales pitch but a lot of people are confused.

The big agencies follow the ISO standards for courses, and so will generally accept certifications from other agencies that follow those standards. SSI and PADI both do.

I don't think there is a standard for AOW, but SSI and PADI are not far apart (both are specialty-driven), with SSI having far higher requirements (4 specialties + 24 dives, I believe), so PADI should accept it.

Think of it from their point of view, it's like they're stealing a customer from a competing agency. Any of them would be more than glad to do that.

I've got about 4 or 5 different certs at different levels-no 2 from the same agency so you should be fine.

dharmon:
The big agencies follow the ISO standards for courses, and so will generally accept certifications from other agencies that follow those standards. SSI and PADI both do.

You are correct that agencies recognize each other's certifications. They do not, however, follow the same standards for their courses. They each write their own standards which often vary greatly. On example: SSI and PADI both offer an advanced certification. PADI's is for a class, SSI's is for a series of certifications and a minimum number of logged dives.

You are correct that agencies recognize each other's certifications. They do not, however, follow the same standards for their courses. They each write their own standards which often vary greatly.

This is incorrect. Several agencies agreed on a standard years ago. NAUI was not part of the process, but they are standards-compliant as of a few years ago.

For basic Open Water, this standard can be seen here

You may be familiar with ISO, the international organization for standards.

Teaching styles are different and all, but there is agreement on core skills that make someone a competent open water diver and must be taught.

This is incorrect. Several agencies agreed on a standard years ago. NAUI was not part of the process, but they are standards-compliant as of a few years ago.

For basic Open Water, this standard can be seen here

You may be familiar with ISO, the international organization for standards.

Teaching styles are different and all, but there is agreement on core skills that make someone a competent open water diver and must be taught.

I think if you compare the requirements for a C-card you will find that there are differences. What one agency says is enough may not get you qualified by another.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom