Question about buying more memory

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I would like to buy another CompactFlash memory card for my Canon digital. have been on-line looking around and just have one question...does it matter which brand? I have seen memorex, PYN, Scandisk, etc...all seem about the same price, though some have better mail-in-rebates than others.
Thanks for the advice

Alcina: take a look at :
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/mediacompare/

DP review provides lots of info on how fast cards write. A more important question might be whether or not you care. When you are shooting multiple shots (my Canon D60 shoots up to 8 pictures and then writes) you need to write fast. If you are going to set up and compose single shots, it does not matter.

Take a look at buy.com for some pretty good prices on cards.

Thanks for the address...I have had a look at it and think I am even worse off now! I just want a memory card for my point and shoots! Currently have a Transcend and have never encountered problems.
I think, from reading that article, for my purposes, any card will do the trick...I hope that is right...
BTW have you seen/used the Crucial Flash cards? they had a pop-up ad and their cards seem to be very well priced...there were no reviews on them. The Viking Card seemed to do very well, but I can't find any when I seach web.

Thanks again :)

colonelchuck once bubbled...
Alcina: take a look at :
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/mediacompare/

DP review provides lots of info on how fast cards write. A more important question might be whether or not you care. When you are shooting multiple shots (my Canon D60 shoots up to 8 pictures and then writes) you need to write fast. If you are going to set up and compose single shots, it does not matter.

Take a look at buy.com for some pretty good prices on cards.

I guess my sandisk 512's really don't match up to many of the others. One thing that I did notice though is the amazingly different write speeds for cards depending on the camera they are being used with. The capability of the camera seems to be even a bigger question than that of the card. I don't seem to have a problem with the speed of my 5050, but I wonder what it would do with a faster card? :confused:

Steve

I really don't think that card speed makes a heck of a lot of difference unless you are shooting bursts of photos and then waiting for the card to write before you shoot more.

With most point and shoot digitals you will likely have written the new file by the time you focus for another. With the more sophisticated digitals, you usuallly have a priority to shoot rather than write so you can continue to shoot until the buffer is full.

I have an IMB 1Gb microdrive and some 256 cards from SimpleTech. I can't really see a difference even when shooting bursts of 8 shots at 8 Mg each.

I recommend that you go with the best price fairly secure in the notion that you will never be able to tell the difference.

Bacchus once bubbled...
I don't seem to have a problem with the speed of my 5050, but I wonder what it would do with a faster card? :confused:

Steve

Thoughts like that cost you money!

Whenever I read these discussions on write speed for the various cards, I can only think one thing that applies to photography and diving....it ain't no race down there! So what if I have to wait an extra SECOND or two before taking the next picture? So maybe I will miss that third shot where the Rock Beauty finally turned to face me?...there'll be others. As long as the card is recording I'm satisfied.

I've got better things to worry about!

alcina once bubbled...
...have you seen/used the Crucial Flash cards? they had a pop-up ad and their cards seem to be very well priced...there were no reviews on them.

I don't know anything about Crucial's Compact Flash products, but they are a well-respected company for RAM. They have good customer service, and are often cheapest if you buy directly from them using coupon codes (a current one is BBUSERGROUP).

Not sure if they're very inexpensive though: Crucial look about double the price of deals going on right now with Amazon and Dell. I'm kind of a technology junkie, and have found links to lots of good deals at Ben's Bargains" -- be careful, though, it's kind of like crack for your credit card... :eek:

Dee once bubbled...

Thoughts like that cost you money!

Of course they do, if you act on all of them. So far I'm lucky, I haven't talked myself into spending just for the heck of it. I did take advantage of a couple of sandisk 512's for $95 a piece because it is a great price. You're right Dee....there's always another shot that can be taken. NExt time might even be better. With the amount of time it takes me to set a shot I really don't have to worry about write time, just the "right time" to shoot! Never hurts to wonder though.

Steve

Where did you find a 512 for $95...most of the 256 ones I have seen are in the $80 - $140 USD range! 512...man, I'd never have to come up again

...and I was going to settle for another 128...:bounce: :dance:

Back
Top Bottom