Question about beginner diving in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I LOVE this board!!!!! Thanks so much to all for your detailed comments - I really appreciate it!

Unfortunately Buddy Dive is booked for the day that we arrive (available starting the following night, but I'd rather not have to move), so I have been looking into Den Laman tonight (and Brad has been responding to my emails lightning fast!). Thanks for the tip, Gary!

Liz, I strongly considered staying with you (you've really impressed me with your incredible helpfulness (from reading all your posts on everybody else's threads)), but I decided that I wanted to stay on the water (at least for this time). If I have any needs though (ie DM, etc.) , I'll definitely let you know.

CAN'T WAIT!!!

Jeff.

Other options:

Lion's Dive is next door to Buddy's. I'm not sure if they still book separately or through Buddy's now. Buddy's bought them out in 2005. You walk over to Buddy's diveshop for everything.

Actually imo, Lion's Dive looked nicer than Buddy's.

Next to Den Laman is Sand Dollar condos, on the water also. Probably the only place in that area with a beach. Both share Bonaire Dive & Adventure as their house op.

And there's Capt' Don's Habitat in that area also (read reviews here first or you might be disappointed)

If you want to stay in a quieter area, BelMar Condos in Belnem is the other Buddy's location. It's in a quiet residential area 5 min. south of Kralendijk and the airport, right on the water. One of the nicer condos in that area. Better than average diving on their house reef and the Buddy's smaller diveshop is on the premises so tanks etc. are available 24/7. Although most times for boat diving you have to drive up to Buddy's. Downside is that there are no close restaurants or other amenities - except a beach a short walk north. So everything is a drive to town. But it's a 2 min drive to the Hooker, Invisibles and all the the really good southern sites.

My family and I stayed at the BelMar last Dec. We loved it so much we'll be staying there again this Dec. (can't wait). One of the high points was sitting on the balcony as the sun was setting, watching a pod of dolphins swim by (and that happened more than once).

If you want to stay on the water, I highly recommend Eden Beach Resort. Great bar/restaurant on site, excellent dive facility, pool and nice studio apartments. I would have LOVED to host you, but understand the "water" thing. Most first timers stay on the water, if they fall in love with Bonaire, and want to come back, many look us up because they realize they can be on the water in less than 2 minutes! Please try and stop by and say hi when you are on the island.

My wife and I have stayed at Yachtclub apartments 5 going on six times when we come down for Christmas/New Years in a couple months. We tried Den Laman last February and liked it very much as it is brand new, well appointed and right on the water. Unfortunately they were booked over the holidays when I had to move our trip to that timeframe from late January a few days ago due to scheduling issues work, but we were able to slip into Yachtclub.

Yachtclub is in a good location just across the road from Harbor Village and not even a half mile from Den Laman/Sand Dollar/Buddys/Capt Don. They are clean and cheap with A/C (in the bedrooms in the one bedroom models or all over in the studios), hot water, cable TV and best of all a fully equipped kitchen with enough utensils and dishes to cook all your meals (but hey, you've got to eat out some just because of all the really good restaurants on the island) They are also advertising the opening of an onsite open air restaurant in December as well as implementation of wireless internet access throughout the complex.

It is a one minute ride over to Bonaire Dive and Adventure (BDA) who has the best rates on unlimited nitrox. You should consider Nitrox training if you have not already completed this. Or you can still choose to dive with Buddys who are a little more expensive than BDA, but they have a very nice set up. Either way, don't miss the free rum punch parties the dive operators hold in the evenings. Buddys has theirs on Fridays, I think that BDA is now doing one on Mondays.

sjspeck:
Other options:

Lion's Dive is next door to Buddy's. I'm not sure if they still book separately or through Buddy's now. Buddy's bought them out in 2005. You walk over to Buddy's diveshop for everything.

It appears that Lions Dive is gone and it's all Buddy. We stayed at "Buddy" this July and ended up in what was the old Lions Dive section. I do agree with you, the Lions Dive section is a little nicer.

Hey there - My husband and I got back from Bonaire yesterday. When we went I had 8 dives logged and he was working on his 200th. We had gotten the shore diving book before going and it was one of the best things we did. Before going on our trip we went through and picked out the dives that I would be most comfortable with. The shore diving was great. Some of the sights with a little easier entries were Windsock, North Belnem, Bachelor's Beach , Front Porch, 18th Palm , and Buddy's Reef. Andrea 1 and 2 and Oil Slick Leap were also great dives. They all were. I didn't have any trouble at all. Sometimes the entries up North were a little more difficult than down south. There were also lots of people around who were looking for buddies to dive with. I noticed you said something about 5 dives a day - that sounds like a bit much. 3 a day was about my limit. You need time for surface intervals and you get tired. From a safety point of view you always want to be at your best when you dive - don't be over tired.Also, after looking around at all the resorts we liked Buddy's the best and that's where we will stay if we go back. Have a great time . You'll both do great. PS-We did Pink Beach and it was a very nice dive also. Deb

Thanks for the info, CLEAR BLUE!!

Update: a couple of other friends will be joining us in Bonaire, so we have decided to try one of the 2BR condos at Den Laman (sorry again, Liz!).

My wife and I have our own fins (the slip-on type). Are booties a must for the shore diving? If so, I guess we'll have to buy new fins and booties before going.

Thanks again to all who have provided us with awesome information!

Jeff.

kwonger81:
Thanks for the info, CLEAR BLUE!!

Update: a couple of other friends will be joining us in Bonaire, so we have decided to try one of the 2BR condos at Den Laman (sorry again, Liz!).

My wife and I have our own fins (the slip-on type). Are booties a must for the shore diving? If so, I guess we'll have to buy new fins and booties before going.

Thanks again to all who have provided us with awesome information!

Jeff.

An absolute must no, some people take water shoes, wade in until they are chest deep and swap them for their fins, clipping the shoes to their BC. Personally it's not something I would care to do. The shore line is very rough and at most sites you will be working your way through coral and rocks all the way to the waters edge. Unlike some places, the reef on Boniare comes all the way to the waters edge. Ironstone is fairly jagged, walking on it is not an option so you really must wear something into and out of the water. There are also erchins in the shalllows that you need to avoid. In addition, booties give you some ankle protection. When buying booties, get the hard soled type. The type that resemble a neoprene sock with a thin layer of rubber on the bottom are marginal at best, think high top tennis shoe..

And a shore diving entry tip for you. Inflate your BC a good bit before entry, put your reg IN your mouth and your mask on. When you lose your balance-sooner or later you will (we all do), it's a lot easier to do a controlled fall and recover if you can see and breath. As soon as you get around mid tigh deep squat down and let the BC take the tank weight. Walk while in a crouched position until you reach water deep enough to put your fins on. That's about chest deep for me. It's much easier to deal with the small waves with all the weight of your gear taken up by your BC.

Back
Top Bottom