Question about battery and power inverter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo:
Back of the napkin type calculations... assuming 90% efficiency in your inverter.

120V, 90W = 0.75A. Allowing for the inverter inefficiency, calculate for 0.8333A at 120V (0.75 / 0.9).

120V / 12V * 0.8333A = 8.33A. So for two hours use, you want 16.67Ah available. Assuming you're buying a deep cycle battery, at 50% use, you could get away with as small as a 33AH battery. Kind of rules out the Radio Shack variety - you can get very small 12V/18AH deep cycle SLA batteries here in Oz for example - this usage could be drawn from the battery, but flatten it in the process and shorten it's lifespan.

375W inverter sounds fine - if you get a smaller inverter, eg 100W, they get hot and they can cut out even though they're "rated" for the load.

Charging deep cycle batteries is another issue, which is why I mentioned AGM batteries - they're much more tolerant to casual charging without the need for stepped voltages. Might be a good idea to drop into a solar forum and put the same question to them and see if you get a similar answer - this is an area I've done a stack of research on, but haven't actually laid out any cash yet (was looking at dual batteries in a 4WD for running a camping fridge etc). You could also get better advice about whether modified-sine is appropriate for the TV/DVD.
I bought a pair of 26 amphour batteries from a local surplus store. They worked good in our scooter which is designed for 37 amphour batteries. I'd guess 500 watts for up to 3 minutes, with a few seconds pause before full throttle again. They measured 13 volts repeatedly right after charging. I loaned one of them to a friend who was without power for 3 days. He used a 70 watt inverter powering a portable phone base station for a total of 8 hours = perhaps 8 amp hours. The battery voltage dropped to 11.3 volts, so 8 amphour spread over 2 days was dammaging to the battery which is now significantly inferior to it's twin. Even 50% may be optimistic for long battery life. Neil

Back
Top Bottom