Question about Bare Next Gen Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darushin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking at getting one of these used and looking at Bare's sizing chart I most closely match XXL in measurements except for the inseam. In jeans I know my inseam is 30 inches and Bare lists the 2XL as 33.5 (I m assuming the measure from ankle like jeans). Is this suit like the trilams in that it has a crotch buckle that I could use to "pull" up the inseam? If it doesn't has anyone else here tried one that has such a inseam difference?

Daru

I have an older NexGen and it does not have the telescoping torso you are refering to and I don't think that the current model has it either. My NexGen is a bit long as well but that gets quickly used up with heavy undersuits and it is easy to pull some of the extra fabric up to my shoulders to help reach tank valves.

As above the nex gen doesn't come with a telescoping torso and a crotch buckle. 3 inches doesn't seem like too much although it's always best to arrange a fit before hand......I'm on my 4th suit in 12years (whites/bare/DUI). And it's a relatively easy/inexpensive fix to "shorten" the legs of a suit.

You do not use that feature to pull up the inseam. You use it to extend the torso so you can get into the suit. It is used on front entry suits. But the Next Gen is back entry. Even if it was the inseam is just what it is. If your legs are shorter than you will have the suit legs bulking up as the crotch area will limit it.

Thanks for answering my question guys, I will look into getting this suit. Next question how easy is it to put some pockets on this suit? As relatively new a cave diver, i have learned pockets are like unicorns carrying a ham sandwich and can't live without them.

Daru

Thanks for answering my question guys, I will look into getting this suit. Next question how easy is it to put some pockets on this suit? As relatively new a cave diver, i have learned pockets are like unicorns carrying a ham sandwich and can't live without them.

Daru

I did a research 4 years ago and this suit is one of the toughest suits to put the pockets on as the glue does not stick well to that material. You will for sure have to sew them on. This is what my friend did with his.

The material on the next gen is way too thin for something like cave diving where you might encounter some abrasion. I'd be uncomfortable even going into a wreck with a next gen. Back zips are also really not the way to go if your going to do any type of diving that emphasizes self-reliance.

You can have pockets attached to Bare's trilaminate tech dry which has robust material and has a front zip. A couple of other things you want to do if you go that route are to have the permanent cuffs and the neck tite system installed when you order them. These allow field replacement of the wrist and neck seals. I did not have the necktite installed on my first trilam tech dry and ended up ordering an entire new drysuit as it cannot be retrofitted.

I'll second that! No on Nex-gen for cave/wreck because of material and the range of motion with back entry. You are better off spending a couple of extra bucks and go with their trilam with the telescoping torso. If you go this route do to pricing, go new but make sure you have them move the exhaust valve over. If you don't they come in the wrong position, on top of the bicep instead of the the outside, which leads to poor venting efficiency. You can probably get into this suit new with 2 pockets for around $1500.

Thanks all for letting me know about pockets and cave diving. I will probably get this suit as I can get one used for $500. I figure $500 for a drysuit to learn on and use for rec diving is not too bad of a deal. I will just save the $700 I save on going used and put it towards a trilam suit designed for cave diving.

Daru

The material on the next gen is way too thin for something like cave diving where you might encounter some abrasion. I'd be uncomfortable even going into a wreck with a next gen.

I beg to differ on the durability of the Nex-Gen. Mine has been in wrecks and slid over rocks many times and is still dry. Have you ever felt the material on a TLS350? The TLS is used in caves all the time.

I did not have the necktite installed on my first trilam tech dry and ended up ordering an entire new drysuit as it cannot be retrofitted.

Did this info come from BARE by any chance? I don't see why it could not be retrofitted it glues on like any neck seal. Maybe Bare does not want to do it But I'm sure it can be done, The told me there is no way a Nex-Gen can be fitted with a P-valve, I've had a Halcyon on it for two years now and works perfectly.

As to the pockets, yes not much want's to stick to the suit but the seals are held on by some sort of adhesive substance. I tried contacting Bare about this and they said it was a proprietary glue and they don't sell it to the public. I have heard on this board PB300 works very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom