Question about Bare Nex Gen Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divetymer

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Have an opportunity to purchase a used Bare Nex Gen for $ 300.00 including insulated underwear, and rock boots. Question is, I dove it in a pool and the neck seal leaked for the first 20 minutes while I was playing with it. I did not have my BC connected since I only had one LP hose to connect, so I could only control ascent descent with the suit. With that said I started out with my dump valve closed so I balloon'd and the only way air escaped was through the neck so I beleive thats why I leaked (happened underwater too, could see bubbles coming out with squeeze). Once I opened the dump and it vented I beleive it stopped leaking but cant be sure since I was already soaked. I still think the neck seal is to loose, it was not tight, went on realy easy and could fairly easily slide my finger in between the seal and neck.

1. Is this to loose???
2. If so, is it possible to have a cement latex hood added to the neck seal to prevent this?
3. Can I also have latex gloves cemented to the wrist seals for comfort?
4. Can you recommend a repair facility to do this work?

All opinions are appreciated.. Thanks

Yes, sounds like neck seal is too loose. You can have the seal replaced with a new one to solve this problem.

You can have a "dry glove system" added to the suit as well.

Recommend you contact Bare directly to get an estimate for this work. I wouldn't let anyone but them do it.

FWIW, they charged me about $100, including return shipping, to replace ONE torn wrist seal - just to give you a quick idea for costs. My guess is they would charge at least $200 + return shipping to replace the next seal and add the dry glove system.

Yep, sounds like the neck seal, easily replaced.

I had all my seals replaced by Bare last year and had suspenders added to the suit. I have made several dives since then with no problems. I don't recall the cost, but it was reasonable. They will give you an estimate. In fact, they seem to have a standard price list.

BARE Sportswear Corp.
1755 Grant Avenue
Blaine, WA USA
98230-5155

Phone: 604-533-7848
Fax: 604-530-8812
Order Line: 1-800-663-0111
Email: customerservice@baresports.com

I have had the suitgoing on 6 years and really like it.

Dry gloves are the way to go for me. You might want to consider that option as well.

If you really want the suit and to fix the neck seal, Divers Cove in Essex CT are experts at any drysuit repair and fix suits by mail for commercial and recreational divers.

DIVERS COVE

They are very friendly and will most likely give you an estimate before you send the suit to them.

Tell Ed Chris recommended you.

$100 for a wrist seal is an overkill and Im sure shipping and handling was a big part of that cost.

For a do it your selfer one wrist seal is about $15 and a can of glue probably $30.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom