question about ashes and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the best of my knowledge, and it is limited, once a body is creamated it is not considered to have any hazardous material. So it isn't illeagle but to some it can be creepy. I know a number of people that have had their ashes scattered in the oceans and Chris and Chrisy had theirs scattered at Ginnie if I'm not mistaken. Go for it, and make sure you watch for unexpected gust of winds. My father in law got the last laugh in on us as we scattered his ashes. An unexpected gust got him blown back all over us. We scattered the last of him down the washing machine that night.:D

LOL I have heard of that happening to other people too. I Have to say that would be a intersting occurence!

I met a couple that had found a company that would take the ashes, mix them with concrete into a form that would then be used to build part of an artificial reef. I thought it was a great idea, can't remember the name of the company that did it.

Edit:

Here it is. Eternal Reefs, A Cremation Memorial Option

now I know what I want done with me when I'm gone. What an amazing idea. Thanks for posting it

Have the ashes put in a bronze urn engraved with his name and drop it in a deep part of the gulf taking the GPS coordinates as a memento of his burial at sea.

Go for it, and make sure you watch for unexpected gust of winds. My father in law got the last laugh in on us as we scattered his ashes. An unexpected gust got him blown back all over us. We scattered the last of him down the washing machine that night.:D
I also found out how light cremated remains are the hard way.

While I was in the Navy a courier showed up unexpectedly the day before we departed on some exercises off of Norfolk. He brought the remains of some admiral.

Since we didn't have any blank ammo, we maneuvered the ship in a direction such that we had a long clear distance downrange from the honor guard firing live ammo from their M14s. We didn't think to check on the wind.

A good portion of the admiral came back aboard as we poured him over the side. Everyone pretended not to noticed the ashes all over our pants and shoes.

We used a firehose to wash down the fantail shortly after the ceremony ended.

It's one of those experiences well remembered, 36 years later. :D

Eternal Reefs is definitely the way to go. I found them about 18 months ago and everyone in my family knows to call them when it is my time. I honestly can't think of a better way to spend eternity.

Last summer, we took a portion of the ashes of a good friend/diver/instructor of ours and put them in a small cylinder (about the size of small pill bottle) and then attached his DAN B/C tag to the cylinder and made a dive on the Oriskany. We swam into a deep part of her and laid this small part of his remains where they'd never be disturbed. It was a special moment for all of us and what our friend would have wanted.

I also found out how light cremated remains are the hard way.

While I was in the Navy a courier showed up unexpectedly the day before we departed on some exercises off of Norfolk. He brought the remains of some admiral.

Since we didn't have any blank ammo, we maneuvered the ship in a direction such that we had a long clear distance downrange from the honor guard firing live ammo from their M14s. We didn't think to check on the wind.

A good portion of the admiral came back aboard as we poured him over the side. Everyone pretended not to noticed the ashes all over our pants and shoes.

We used a firehose to wash down the fantail shortly after the ceremony ended.

It's one of those experiences well remembered, 36 years later. :D
It really depends on how finely the cremains are ground by the cremulator, but they are usually like a mix of heavy sand and kitty litter. When I commited my father's cremains to the sea, I used a water soluble urn (available from most vendors of urns). These urns dissolve over the course of a week or so, and prevent the possible "last embrace" by the deceased due to a gust of ocean breeze.

Dude...Go for it!!! people do it all the time

a few years back I found the remains of someone near the Christ Statue in Key Largo. Ashes in an urn tucked in a tiny cave in the reef. I thought what a story , no one will ever believe this one. so I detached the strobe and angled it in and shot a few frames.
urn appears to be signed by friends and loved ones.

I saw an online video on youtube of the placing of that urn! I remember all the signatures, and that it was hidden near the statue. It was a couple of years ago when I saw the video, can't find it on there anymore. I beleive it was a young man in the urn, and there were many divers present for the topside / underwater ceremony.

Sounds like a great idea! Not being mean about it but an urn could be a geocache!

but an urn could be a geocache!

...and likely someday someones souvenir. I'd tuck it away somewhere out of the way, maybe in a hole in live coral which will eventually overgrow it, or elsewhere as not to be found.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom