question about aow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's the way I see the skill levels:

Novice: Diving knowledge is minimal and solely 'textbook.' It does not connect decisions with actions and it ignores the context in which the action will be taken. The available suite of skills rigidly adhere to learned rules, other responses are not readily available. The possible use of knowledge for planning is without situational awareness and lacks discretionary judgment. The diver has available only rational decision making tools, nothing is intuitive or holistic. Individual actions are seen, and taken, in isolation with no conception of, or capability to deal with, complexity. Performance is unlikely to be satisfactory unless closely supervised.

Beginner: The diver has developed a working knowledge of key aspects of tasks and appreciates that complex diving situations exist. Since situational awareness is limited, all attributes, aspects and elements tend to be treated separately and given nearly equal importance. Though the diver begins to use the global characteristics of situations that are recognized from limited prior experience, problems are primarily solved by using rote guidelines for action that are based on situational attributes. The diver is starting to make rudimentary attempts to decide on appropriate actions in context, but is limited to applying actions as a series of learned predefined steps, and thus can not be expected to successfully resolve complex situations. Though supervision is needed for the accomplishment of the overall task, straightforward tasks likely to be completed to an acceptable standard and the beginner is able to achieve some steps using his or her own judgment.

Competent: The diver now has a good working knowledge of diving, as well as some background knowledge of diving, and as a result can deal with knowledge in context. Recognition of relevance is now present. Actions are seen, at least partly, in terms of longer-term goals. The diver is able to cope with simple, multiple, simultaneous, and competing inputs. The diver sees actions (at least partially) in terms of longer-term goals. The diver performs best with standardized and routine procedures, but is able to achieve many tasks using his or her own judgment, and can also engage in conscious and deliberate planning. Skills are fit for the purpose intended, though they may lack refinement.

Proficient (Advanced): The diver posses a depth of understanding of the disciplines that make up diving, as well as those specific to diving. At this level the the diver is able to make a holistic assessment in context, rather than just an analytic one. The diver can deal with complex situations holistically, and decision-making is more confident. Performing to a fully acceptable standard is routine; as is seeing what is most important in a situation. Deviations from the normal pattern are quickly perceived. Decision-making is less labored. Though maxims may still be used for guidance, but there is an understanding that conclusions will (and should) vary according to the situation. The diver sees the overall 'picture' and how individual actions fit within it. The diver is able to take full responsibility for his or her own work (and that of others where and when applicable).

Expert: The diver is fully capable of making correct decisions on an intuitive basis. He or she no longer needs to rely on rules, guidelines or maxims, possessing an authoritative knowledge of the disciplines that make up diving that leads to a deep tacit understanding of, as well as a holistic and intuitive grasp of situations. In complex circumstances, the diver moves seamlessly between intuitive and analytical approaches, using analytic approaches solely in completely novel situations or when problems occur. The diver simultaneously sees the overall 'picture' and grasps alternative approaches. The diver is comfortable taking responsibility for going beyond existing standards and creating original interpretations using a vision of what is possible. Excellence is achieved with relative ease.

Effin A. Smartest post ever. Many more holistic intuitive analyses for you.

I just got my aow last weekend, I am thinking that I got my aow a little to soon, since I only have about 20 dives. All my dives were without incident and I felt great. Any opinions.

That's five times as many dives as I had when I did AOW.

:D

Me and the wife are doing the AOW next weekend after only a small handful of dives under our belts. The goal is simply to get more supervised experience and hopefully pick up some useful skills along the way.

By no means do we think this will make us advanced, and we will undoubtedly still play around the 40-60ft range for many dives to come.

From my inexperienced perspective it's just another tool to gain the experience one needs to become a better diver.

Me and the wife are doing the AOW next weekend after only a small handful of dives under our belts. The goal is simply to get more supervised experience and hopefully pick up some useful skills along the way.

By no means do we think this will make us advanced, and we will undoubtedly still play around the 40-60ft range for many dives to come.

From my inexperienced perspective it's just another tool to gain the experience one needs to become a better diver.

Sounds like you are on the right path.:thumbs-up

Nice one Thal. Is that straight out of your noggin or is there a source?

Chris

Thal's noggin IS a source!

:cool2:

Nice one Thal. Is that straight out of your noggin or is there a source?

Chris
Never, never, re-invent the wheel.

The definitions are based on nursing definitions that my wife turned me on to in: Benner, P (1984) From Novice to Expert: Excellence and Power in Clinical Nursing Practice, Menlo Park CA, Addison-Wesley

There was a time when a certified diver was competent, now they are almost always a novice, rarely a beginner. There was a time when an instructor was an expert, today one is lucky to find one that is proficient.:shakehead:

Never, never, re-invent the wheel.

There was a time when a certified diver was competent, now they are almost always a novice, rarely a beginner. There was a time when an instructor was an expert, today one is lucky to find one that is proficient.:shakehead:

I couldn't agree more. Thanks for the reply and info. I'll have to look into it.

I might have to figure out how to put that quote in our Diving Safety Manual. :wink:

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom