Question about air expansion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leabre

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Tobin,

Is it normal for air to vent from the wing (Torus 38) as it expands or when I roll my right shoulder up?

For about 2 years I used to get slightly vertical and vent from the tube then Kalani took my on my doubles the first time a while back (when I bought them) and showed me the roll-until-air-on-left-side-then-vent-from-lower-exhaust-valve.

So I started doing that but I've noticed that as I roll the air towards my shoulders it automatically vents from where the tube meets the bladder. I have not problems, as it allows me to keep my set bouyancy as I ascend but I wanted to ask if that is normal or if something is broken/loose.

Tobin,

Is it normal for air to vent from the wing (Torus 38) as it expands or when I roll my right shoulder up?

For about 2 years I used to get slightly vertical and vent from the tube then Kalani took my on my doubles the first time a while back (when I bought them) and showed me the roll-until-air-on-left-side-then-vent-from-lower-exhaust-valve.

So I started doing that but I've noticed that as I roll the air towards my shoulders it automatically vents from where the tube meets the bladder. I have not problems, as it allows me to keep my set bouyancy as I ascend but I wanted to ask if that is normal or if something is broken/loose.

Gas should not vent from your wing unless you pull on the opv or depress the oral inflate button, or if you over inflate the wing and the opv opens.

I'd suggest filling your wing to the point the opv vents. It should hold it's shape.

If it's leaking we need to see it.

Tobin

My LCD 20 does the exact same thing, when i roll slightly to the right and lift my left shoulder bubbles go up from my wing, at first I thought it had a leak, but it holds air just fine on the surface and when needed underwater. I filled it with air when i took it off my tank and was in my house, no air leaking i could fine or hear, I almost think now that maybe air bubbles from my regulator get trapped somehow under my wing and backplate when I exhale and when I roll it releases them. I will take off my cover for my wing and double check to make sure it's not leaking, but, in the water it functioned fine, now im curious since someone else has reported the exact same thing.

Ah, now I know what you are reporting.

Wings that have an inner bladder and a sewn outer shell can trap air between the bladder and the shell.

This air is NOT from inside the bladder, but is present at the beginning of the dive.

Wings with top arc zippers will vent this gas through the zippers, that includes the DSS LCD wings.

The DSS Torus wings, which have no zipper, include a small mesh vent at the center of the top arc. This vent does the same thing as the zipper.

As long as your wing holds gas, i.e. remains fully inflated, then there is no leak in the bladder, opv, inflator, hose or fittings.

If any wings fails to remain inflated it should not be used.

Tobin

Thanks for the replies. The bladder holds air, as well, at all other times. Holding it under water fully inflated does not reveal the presence of any obvious leaks. So, air trapped, got it.

Thanks!

Yep thats what it is, thanks Tobin I thought it was something of the sort because it held air just fine under and above water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom