question about a second mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the responses to the original question.

I've been carrying an extra mask for about 13 years, and it has resided in the left pocket on my thigh.

Every week a guest asks me why I carry an extra mask, I reply "to be redundant".

Does every diver on a DIR team carry a spare mask? If I understand you guys correctly, all of the equipment you have, including the "spare" stuff in the left pocket, is a team resource. It's not just for you. Couldn't a team of 2 or more divers get by safely with just one diver carrying a spare mask? It seems very unlikely that every diver in the group would all lose their masks on the same dive.

-Tiny-B.

Tiny Bubbles:
Does every diver on a DIR team carry a spare mask? If I understand you guys correctly, all of the equipment you have, including the "spare" stuff in the left pocket, is a team resource. It's not just for you. Couldn't a team of 2 or more divers get by safely with just one diver carrying a spare mask? It seems very unlikely that every diver in the group would all lose their masks on the same dive.

-Tiny-B.
Tiny B,
Good thinking. Typically I would only be sure to have at least 1 spare mask on the team. Given that I carry mine on every dive as a matter of habit and so do most of the guys I dive with, if one of us broke their spare or did not have it for any other reason, we'd make certain that there was at least on spare on the team. To sum it up, Imake it a habit to have what I think theteam will need to have adequate gear, and so do my teammates, but if for some reason one of us is short of a spare mask or a backup reel, well as long as we have a spare on the team we feel adequately equipped for most allof our diving.

dive safe!

What is wrong with wearing the spare mask around the neck, facemask on the nape? Sandworm 40

Sandworm 40:
What is wrong with wearing the spare mask around the neck, facemask on the nape? Sandworm 40

Why would you want a dangling mask or anything for that matter in the way of your backup reg ...you dont need any equipment hanging off you for nothing.. Mask goes in the pocket

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom