Query on diving gear online shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there any model in the market that provides good storage pockets(need it for knife, torch, "divers beware") but still design for travel in mind?

I carry 2 cutting devices, 1 or 2 torches, and at least 1 SMB on every dive, and a GoPro or real camera rig on many dives. My BCD has no pockets. Nothing dangles (except my SMB sort of dangling from the side of my waist). On tech dives, I will wear a drysuit with pockets or overshorts with pockets. Those hold an extra mask, wet notes, and a lift bag. So, still no need for pockets on my BCD.

Just sayin', you don't have to limit yourself to a BCD with pockets in order to carry what you need. But, in that case, you would probably need a BCD that has webbing for the waist belt and shoulder straps that will let you undo it and thread on tri-slides and D-rings and rubber bands.

Fortunately, lightweight minimalist BCDs that offer this capability are also often less expensive than the kind of BCDs that come with all those pockets, etc.. And they are almost always more durable, to boot.

My Zeagle Scout travels well. I can fit a small knife, backup computer, and a small drybox in the pockets. It is not weight integrated though, and I cut the cummerbund off.

My Zeagle Scout travels well. I can fit a small knife, backup computer, and a small drybox in the pockets. It is not weight integrated though, and I cut the cummerbund off.
I have a Zeagle Scout as well & it is easy to travel with. It does have dumpable weight pockets in addition to the 2 std pockets so weight integration is not an issue if use under 16 lbs lead.

boat sju, how does it feel without the cumberbund?

I
boat sju, how does it feel without the cumberbund?

Honestly, it feels a lot better without it. Less bulky. Easy to tighten up in the water. I hate velcro for some reason, and the cummerbund always seemed to get in the way gearing up.

Of all those listed, I like DRIS and NESS the most, but I have limited experience with most of the others listed, and none with a few of the others. The pre- and post-sales service from DRIS is truly outstanding, and NESS ships *instantly*.

Full disclosure: DRIS has been one sponsor of a project I have been involved in.

John

I have experience with the following web stores:

Piranha Dive Manufacturing - Out of Florida. They are well known for their excellent hoses, but offer tons of other quality products--some of which you won't find anywhere else--at competitive prices. In my many years of buying just about everything online, never before I had a store send me a refund because their actual costs were lower than what was billed. Their service is excellent and everything is handled expeditiously. Great folks.

Dive Right in Scuba - A well-regarded and highly trusted dive shop out of Illinois. They have an active presence here (business sponsors). You can find all kinds of stuff in their web store, but they are more than an online retailer. They are honestly the paramount LDS and I probably would hit them up first if I ever need some above and beyond customer service. Solid core values.

Dive Gear Express - Out of SE Florida, they have been around for a while. Used to be known as Dive Rite Express. They still sell tons of Dive Rite gear and plenty of other stuff, including their own high-quality, low-cost items. Trustworthy. Their website is full of knowledge and one of the first places I check when I need something in the tech niche.

Leisurepro - Located in NYC and owned by the same people that own Adorama. Solid prices. Excellent customer service. Easy, free returns with their Pressure-Free Fit Guarantee. The best online store to buy exposure protection, fins, masks, et cetera. If it doesn't fit perfectly, send it back for free and request a different size, also for free. This company has a long history of Internet sales. I've bought a lot of stuff from them with no issues. Mostly recreational, big manufacturer gear.

New England Dive - They have an Amazon store, which allows you to take advantage of Prime expedited shipping and the benefit of buying through Amazon.

Last edited:
I have been looking at all options because I would prefer to start out with my own gear. Local dive shops don't always carry the manufacturer, or brand, or if they do the size or color. I understand local dive shops can't carry large inventories, but I'm not an impulse buyer. I'm a researcher, reviewer, comparative pricing kind of person :) Fortunately there is a big scuba show this weekend at the Long Beach Convention Center. Every manufacturer I have been looking at will be there. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to try on the gear I have been drooling over in the many reviews I've read. If I can try it on I will order the exact item I want from my local shop. I feel my local shop's help and support will be invaluable as I progress and I suspect they will match the "show" price. Amazon's customer reviews have been very helpful as well. The biggest reason I signed up here was to read "real life" opinions of the gear they use.

Hi, @Lifelyjump. I love buying things online but I think dive gear, particularly that of masks, BCs and wetsuits, should be tried on in person. It can make or break your experience if it isn't properly fitted and definitely a hassle to have to send back and forth. I know a lot of dive gear is much more attractively and competitively priced online; however, you may find that your good and local dive shops may be willing to match the prices or create a custom package based on what you want to purchase that fits you rather than a pre-determined package which is sometimes the case.

I have purchased from LeisurePro before but accessories only. I have had good experiences. I don't know if the same is true anymore but they used to have some grey market products that would end up on their website and some manufacturers will not stand behind any warranties if the product is not purchased from an authorized dealer. If you are looking at Scubapro, I know they are now an authorized dealer for that particular brand.

Congratulations on your certifications! If you have any questions on gear, everyone here is very helpful. Please feel free to ask. :)

I have been looking at all options because I would prefer to start out with my own gear. Local dive shops don't always carry the manufacturer, or brand, or if they do the size or color. I understand local dive shops can't carry large inventories, but I'm not an impulse buyer. I'm a researcher, reviewer, comparative pricing kind of person :) Fortunately there is a big scuba show this weekend at the Long Beach Convention Center. Every manufacturer I have been looking at will be there. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to try on the gear I have been drooling over in the many reviews I've read. If I can try it on I will order the exact item I want from my local shop. I feel my local shop's help and support will be invaluable as I progress and I suspect they will match the "show" price. Amazon's customer reviews have been very helpful as well. The biggest reason I signed up here was to read "real life" opinions of the gear they use.

I'm heading to the show in Long Beach this weekend as well. I've never been but thought I would check it out. Maybe I'll see you there! :)

Love your profile pic. I love dogs. Here is a pic of my girl. It was her first time in the wheelchair and I got "the look". She didn't like it at first. The vet in Banning paralyzed her :( The shot was supposed in the large muscle -- maybe he should have taken a little more time.
Heathers%20New%20Wheelchair_zpsc04vzk79.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom