Quality Wet Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CMOST

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm looking for a good quality full wet suit. I will be doing my diving in Florida. I have a shorty right now for the warmer months, but I will need a full for the cooler months. What is a good quality brand? Any thoughts? Water temp is 65-75 in the cooler months. What mm would work the best?

I'm looking for a good quality full wet suit. I will be doing my diving in Florida. I have a shorty right now for the warmer months, but I will need a full for the cooler months. What is a good quality brand? Any thoughts? Water temp is 65-75 in the cooler months. What mm would work the best?

Diving out of Miami and the Keys, I find that my 3/2 is all I need in the winter.

Depends on how cold-natured you are...

65-75 degrees, you'll usually see suggestions for a 5mm. It's always easier to flush your wetsuit, if you're too warm, than to warm up, if you're too cold. If you do multiple dives/day or over a few days, you'll chill, and need the extra couple of mm.

A good compromise might be a 5mm Henderson Hyperstretch. The Hyperstretch suits are slightly less thermally insulating than a standard wetsuit of the same thickness, which would be fine for that range of temperature, and they're the most comfortable suits I've ever put on... Very easy to doff and don, and very forgiving if you don't typically fit "off the rack."

The only down side I've seen is that they tend to "pull" a little easier when they come in contact with velcro.

I'm originally from the Midwest. Not cold natured at all. When you say tends to "pull" what exactly are you referring to? Not sure what you mean.

I'm originally from the Midwest. Not cold natured at all. When you say tends to "pull" what exactly are you referring to? Not sure what you mean.
You get those little rough patches on surface of the wetsuit when you have to yank the velcro (ie: from the collar fastener) if it's come in contact with a spot on the suit. It's just an aesthetic thing, and hasn't really happened much on mine.

Congrats on not being cold-natured... I hate diving cold. I don't even like the thermoclines in the local lakes/quarries.

However, for winter diving in the Keys, I'd still recommend a 5mm Hyperstretch.

Whatever you go with, don't forget about the head(losing heat)..I'd also get a 2 mm chicken vest, a little hood is always appreciated under 70 degrees---very inexpensive @ $30--see link............

EVO EVO Unisex 2mm Hooded Vest

IMHO Hyperstretch suit while a good fitting suit (I do own one) is my least favorite and least durable of any suit I have ever owned - certainly no warmer than my 3mm Harveys.

I would serously look at the Pinnacle Merino suits including the Elastiprene 5mm or the 5/4 Fusion. These suits will last a lot longer (while looking good) and keep you much warmer when the temps dip down to 5mm.

You get those little rough patches on surface of the wetsuit when you have to yank the velcro (ie: from the collar fastener) if it's come in contact with a spot on the suit. It's just an aesthetic thing, and hasn't really happened much on mine.

Congrats on not being cold-natured... I hate diving cold. I don't even like the thermoclines in the local lakes/quarries.

However, for winter diving in the Keys, I'd still recommend a 5mm Hyperstretch.

I too have to recommend the Pinnacle wetsuits. I just got a 7/5mm and I was toasty warm on the wrecks this past weekend in 53F waters. I would say that I was just as warm as the guys in their 8/7mm. I know that their suits tend to be a bit more on the pricey side but they are very nicely made.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom